13 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Wiebe

Chris Wiebe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

I am going to try the soft talk module.  Any recommendations about what kind of headset/microphone I should get?

#2 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

I gave up on Soft Talk. Sorry, I can't help.

#3 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

I can tell you my experience so far with Soft talk.

Like Warren I tried it in the past and gave up. I have taken on a job drawing shop drawings and layouts for a company doing a wall system using rigid insulation and steel. It is quite repetitive work, but involves a lot of clicking and navigating from tool to tool. I realized that voice recognition, if it worked, would really speed things up. First I downloaded a program that uses voice to control the mouse and keyboard. I posted about it on this forum. I soon realized it was conflicting with SoftPlan and freezing it up. SofPlan tech support has told me in the past that Soft talk is controlled by windows, not Softplan, so I got to thinking that maybe with Windows 10 it would work better. I have been trying it since, altho I am not real busy at the moment, so haven't given it a fair work out. It seems like it will work good enough to be usable, altho I find that it seems to work really well for awhile and then stops recognizing a lot of the commands. 

As far as a headset, it is very important to have a good one. I am using a Logitech headset that I think cost approx. $40. Have had it for a couple years. I find that I can speak in quite a normal voice. The downside to it is that it gets uncomfortable wearing for extended periods of time. I have considered using desk top mikes, but a good one is a couple hundred dollars and I have a hard time believing that it will actually pick up as good as a mouth piece close to your mouth. Yesterday I purchased a blue tooth adapter for my computor and a Plantronics Voyager Legend headset upon the recommendation of a friend who really liked it for his cell phone. The cost was just over $100.00 and the results were disappointing. It does not pick up nearly as well as my Logitech headset.

If you can get it to the point that it will indeed pick up most or all of your commands, I believe that you will be able to draw faster than using keyboard shortcuts. Having said that, i think that the next best is to have a double right click menu with most a lot of the tools you use.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#4 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

I gather from the lack of comments on this thread that SoftTalk is not used by many of you. After my last post I also stopped using it again. I found that it would work just great for awhile and then quit. 

Do any of you find that it actually works for you?

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#5 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

I had bought it and tried it but my problem is more of a hassle in the fact that 1) I like to listen to talk radio and music and 2) interruptions and phone calls that consistently makes you have to stop.  It just didn't work for me. 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#6 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

Well I have to say I am a little disappointed in soft talk so far.  There seems to be a pretty steep learning curve! lol

#7 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

I may end up having to try it sometime.  I'm getting terrible tendinitis in both arms and nothing docs have done yet has helped.  Just ordered a really expensive mouse that is supposed to help but we shall see.

#8 James Ryan

James Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEaston, MA

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:26 AM

Sam

I switched to a Evoluent mouse, it keeps my hand in almost a handshake position rather than a laying flat position and I haven't had any hand, wrist or arm issues since. I've been using it for a year now

James Ryan

V 2018+ .3.3

#9 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Thats the one I ordered.  The strange thing is I have pain in both arms....more so in my mouse arm but its pretty consistent in both

#10 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

I also use the Evoluent mouse and am very happy with it.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#11 Ben Ginther

Ben Ginther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

I have also been using the Evolent mouse and I like it. But, I have had 2 of them each one lasts about a year. Is it working better for the rest of you?

#12 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

I have had mine since about the middle of January, 2014, and it is still working fine. I haven't been overly busy this past year, so it probably hasn't been worked as hard as yours, Ben. I have had trouble sometimes when starting the computer that it doesn't pick up that mouse till I restart a couple times or I unplug it till the computer boots up and then plug it in. Being a lefty there was only one model to choose from when I ordered mine. Right handers could choose from a couple sizes and between chorded or wireless

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#13 James Ryan

James Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEaston, MA

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

mine is roughly a yr old and its running fine and I have not had any issues at all, i have the wireless model

James Ryan

V 2018+ .3.3

#14 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Someone smarter than me will need to tell me how to program the buttons.  I've tried to set them up for softplan and no luck.   No clue what I'm doing wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users