#1 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

Is there a way to change the color of a particular siding ?  

In my current case a have the "log-horizontal.jpeg" siding.   We want to match the new log siding to the existing log siding on the cottage.  However, the existing

log siding has been painted and so shall the new log siding.   When I go into the Material Texture Edit  there is a box on the upper right that says "Display Texture"

which is checked and shows athumbnail of my log siding, but below that is another box that has two selection options, one is "Display Color" and the other is "Auto

Match to Texture".    

I preselected the color I want which shows in the color box and I checked off "Auto Match to Texture".  So it would seem to me this would alter the color of the texture

I have checked off.    But this does not change the color of the log siding ?  

What is this Auto Match to Texture selection for if it doens't change the color of the siding to match the color showing in the box ?  I do not select the Display Color

box as doing that automatically turns off the Display Texture box.

Can I or can't I change the color of the log siding ?

JimC

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

The "Display Color" is used for a solid paint such as it appears in "Shaded Mode" or can be used in "Texture Mode" but then you loose the texture. The "Auto Match to Texture" is just a color match to the color that's used in the texture to match the color more easily. The color selection is not a color that's integrated in a texture. The only way to have a different colored textured is to have a different texture with the appropriate color built-in.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

Can I or can't I change the color of the log siding ?

Simple answer is No, you cannot change the colour of any of the standard JPG textures. The "Auto match to texture", will match the colour to the texture. There is no "Auto match to colour" to match the texture to the colour.

However, some graphic programs will let you desaturate the colour and contone a texture with other colours, but unless you are used to it, this is very advanced. That's how I created all the colours of siding that I gave away.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

This works for me on jpeg textures:

Right click on your texture and "Edit Texture".

On the Texture/Color tab, select your texture.

Click the "Display Color" button.

Check the "Auto Match to Texture" check box.

Select a color (you can use the eyedropper to select any color that is displayed on your monitor)

Your texture should change to this color.

You may need to go to the Options Tab and adjust the relief depth.  For some reason it resets to zero.

• Tom Rogers likes this

#5 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

You should take a look at using profiles in the wall definition.  Then the siding shape is independant from the color or texture.

• Wesley Penner and David Zawadzki like this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

Changing the wall definition to show textures is something I've thought about often, but the problem I have, is that invariably the profile doesn't match the textures "apparent" profile, and it looks a mess. So you end up with using only colours and not textures, and the colours with a profile don't seem to look as real as the textures without a profile ... also, where you have a house wall meet a garage wall, the profiles don't line up and then it's much more noticeable that they are off line ... or is there something I'm missing

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:40 AM

This works for me on jpeg textures:

Right click on your texture and "Edit Texture".

On the Texture/Color tab, select your texture.

Click the "Display Color" button.

Check the "Auto Match to Texture" check box.

Select a color (you can use the eyedropper to select any color that is displayed on your monitor)

Your texture should change to this color.

You may need to go to the Options Tab and adjust the relief depth.  For some reason it resets to zero.

I'm not sure HOW that works for you James, once you click on the DISPLAY COLOUR Radio button, you are no longer displaying the texture, so when you change the colour with the eyedropper, you are just changing the colour. You CAN'T possibly be changing a texture in a JPG that way. If you click on display texture again, doesn't it change back?

Can you put some brown cedar shakes in a gable, and change their colour to red, and post a screenshot, so we can see this working ...

Keith

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

You can change the colour tone of a texture by adjusting the AMBIENT and DIFFUSE sliders from 0 (Dark) to 100 (Light).

Keith

#9 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

Gray Cedar Shakes.JPG

Red Shakes.JPG

• Deron Butler likes this

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:25 AM

Well, I'm AMAZED and ASTOUNDED, and apologise.

No matter how much I try, I cannot duplicate that ....

Keith

#11 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

Keith....

surfaces can take on RELIEF DEPTH even if the surface is defined with a color... the RELIEF DEPTH will take on any texture / bitmap that is identified as the "texture", even though "Display Color" is selected for the surface

be sure you have ENABLE DEPTH RELIEF in your Mode Settings..

be sure that the surface settings have a high setting for "Relief Depth"..

clear as mud?

Attached Thumbnails

• SP 01.jpg

• Raymond W. Johnson and Deron Butler like this

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

No, Clearer than mud ... much clearer.

My mode settings didn't have DEPTH RELIEF enabled. Once it was enabled, I can duplicate your results.

Thank you, James and Thomas - I've learn't something today, so it's not been a total waste of time.

2015.12.07_15h03m33s_001.png

Not the greatest look for shakes, but does prove a point.

So, In answer to Jim's original post, YES ... textures can be "somewhat" recoloured. I suppose the final effect is very dependent upon the chosen colour though.

• Deron Butler likes this
Keith

#13 Jeff DeKam

Jeff DeKam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 02:59 PM

I am having the same issue here. I have changed it to have Display color get turned on. Then I have changed the relief depth to the highest and have it enabled. Only parallel sides turn out the way that I would like while the other two sides I can see it if I zoom in really closely, but that is it.

#14 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:27 AM

I was looking at that today, and seems like the way the sun and/lights hit the sides that make it not seeable very well

on 2024 that is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users