#1 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

I want to get a new computer, but I'm a little bewildered on how to choose the graphics gard.  Would like some insight.

I'm planning an getting a Dell tower desktop system (I've been very happy with Dell for my last 2 computers).

CPU will be be 6th generation Intel Core i7 series.

I want a system that will render 3D pretty fast.  

One configuration offers  Intel® Core i7-6700K Processor 4.0GHz;      24GB DDR4 RAM   with a   2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960  Graphic card

the other is a                    Intel® Core i7-6700 Processor 3.4GHz,         32GB DDR4 RAM   with a   4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745   Graphics card

If all other things are equal, is one setup better than another?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

I am running on an Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz and 32 gigs of RAM using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 video card c/w 4 GB RAM. Does a great job.

(insert Tim Allen grunt here)

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#3 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

Check out this site for video card benchmarks ...

http://www.videocard...h_end_gpus.html

The GTX 745 is far down the list with a benchmark of 2,160

The 960 is benched at 5,978

The GTX 970 that Martin has is 8,657 and near the top of the list and still quite affordable

If you are mainly doing textured mode then the video card will have the biggest impact.

If you also frequently generate 3d with rendered mode then the CPU will make the most difference.

There is less difference between the processors but the i7-4790 has the edge

#4 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Another issue to consider is what kind of monitor you are using or hope to use in the future. I added a 27" Dell 4K monitor to my setup. Not just any graphics card will allow you to run it at the 4K resolution. I called both Tiger Direct and NCIX for advice on which graphics card to get. They both recommended the 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960  Graphic card. I ordered it on Black Friday and as it was on back order, I have not yet received it. There was a sale on so I ended up ordering the 4 GB GeForce GTX 960 card. This card is supposed to be able to run 4 monitors.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#5 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

I am running on an Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz and 32 gigs of RAM using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 video card c/w 4 GB RAM. Does a great job.

(insert Tim Allen grunt here)

I run the same configuration as Martin and am happy with it !

JimC

#6 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Thank you for that excellent feedback.  Just one more question:

The bottom line is (with say a 4 GHz CPU) how long does it take you to refresh (regenerate) a 3D fully rendered project, using either the GeForce GTX 960  or the GeForce GTX 970?

#7 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

best gaming graphics card for the money

http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-7.html

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#8 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

In the past I've adhered to the policy of getting the fastest, most powerful hardware I could afford.  But there is a point of diminishing returns for the purpose at hand.

The difference between NVIDIA's GTX 960 and the GTX 970 is about $145.  

Aside from abstracted benchmark numbers, I'm wondering if there's any appreciable difference in the regeneration speed for 3D rendering.  Does anybody have some real-world experience with this they can share?

EDIT UPDATE:  I just discovered that the concern about rendering speed and graphic card is moot, because the rendering in SoftPlan is done by the CPU, not the graphics card. This bit of information was on SoftPlan's GAQ's.

#9 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

Paul,

"because the rendering in SoftPlan is done by the CPU, not the graphics card"

This partly true. The CPU by default is used to generate the 3d when you are in "Rendered" mode. All other modes default to your graphics card. I personally use the "Textured" mode for all my 3d work. If you do the same and utilize the SoftPlan recommended settings, it is your GPU that does the work and will definitely have an impact on your regenerating speed.

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

... The CPU by default is used to generate the 3d when you are in "Rendered" mode ...

As you say "BY DEFAULT", personally I find my system renders far faster in rendered mode using the GPU than it does using the CPU, and I cannot tell any difference in quality. Although to be honest, I rarely use rendered mode for anything.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users