• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Firestone

Kevin Firestone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

I am trying to do a small addition to a house. I am having trouble with the foundation plan. The foundation is a slab on grade. I draw the floor plan with the walls, openings etc. I need to show the foundation as drawing in the plan set showing the spacing of the vertical rebar coming out of the slab, and notes regarding footing size, slab thickness, etc.

I tried to save the floor plan as a foundation plan, delete the items that are not necessary, add slab, and check the structural box. When i look at the 3D tab, my walls are twice as tall( if i delete the walls, i loose everything.). I know i am not doing something in the right order, or most likely not following the right procedure.

I have been using Softplan for a little while. When I lived in Michigan,I did a couple houses, but they had full basements. Now I am in Florida where everything is slab on grade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

KevinF

#2 Jay Preeshl

Jay Preeshl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Treat the foundation plan as a new drawing since the only thing that is the same is the foot print of building.

Just make sure you use your reference points accordingly.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

The only thing you should show on the Foundation plan for the 3D is the actual structural slab (plus rebar and notes, of course). All the rest is the main floor.

The other way (which would be my preference) would be to add the structural slab as a floor on the main floor. Then the model wouldn't have a foundation. I would then draw the foundation plan with shapes so that the BOM (if I used the BOM) is correct.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

There are many different techniques that can be used depending upon the results you are seeking.

For 3d views I use the slab commands while the first floor plan is in "floor system": mode.

This will allw you to show the slab and footings on elevations and will be accurate in section views.

It also provides the quantities for SoftList.

For the slab construction document I copy the first floor plan, delete unnecessary items and use the "change wall command" to a wall type that I have defined for slabs.

I can change exterior bearing walls to show a "mono slab with footing".

I also change bearing interior walls to "grade beam".

Add new wall definitions as you need them to be shown for construction purposes.

I do not include this floor in the 3d model.

This technique will allow you to add all of the rebar and sizing information that you will need.

Which in Florida is a LOT!

• Stephan Page likes this

#5 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

I didn't clearly read the above, so I may put unusable info in this post, but I do florida, and usually a stemwall, I usually do block construction, but is the same for stick.  I put the slab on the 1st floor building, and no footers.   I save as the 1st floor as the foundation and erase as needed and change the wall into usually a 3 course (24") stemwall, this will give you a stemwall under the 1st floor for 3d and for softlist.    If you do mono footers you would add these to the slab of the 1st floor, by editing the slab edge, this would then again do 3d and softlist, and elevations.       

#6 Kevin Firestone

Kevin Firestone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. I am practicing with all the suggestions so far. Although I have had Softplan for a while, it has been limited and and occasional usage. I have been successful using Keith's option, which worked well. I was following the training CD when I started(to refresh my memory), which works for stem wall or basements. 

I don't use Softlist to generate material lists(Yet!).

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions, I will keep looking at the forum and this thread for more help

#7 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:48 AM

If I am understanding this, if you are looking at seeing it in a 3d view you would add the slab as a floor system in your plan and let it work through that.  If you need to show rebar in an elevation (should be a seperate detail or section), you can do it with lines or shapes.  Because it is a slab on grade and not a stem wall or crawl or basement you don't need to have another drawing.  I do many slabs in Georgia and that is how all mine are completed. 

• Stephan Page likes this

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users