4 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

I would like to create 3d images and video in a more advanced way than Softplan.  I like what I see in Lumion and Artlantis, as an example of the software I would obtain and learn.  What is the export procedure for softplan 3d files into Lumion or artlantis?  Do I need to export to Sketchup then to Lumion?

Any ideas, thoughts, experiences and help would be super appreciated.

Softplan 18+, Lumion 6,  Vimeo.  Windows 7 Pro, 32gb ram, Assus GE force RXT 2800, I-7 -3770 3.40 GHZ 4 cores. 

SkylightHomebuilders.com

#2 Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

Progress report: I was successful in loading softplan 16+ sketchup (skp) export into Lumion.  Tried 3ds, and was only partially successful, due to some of the surfaces not transferring over.  Some of the walls and doors did not transfer fully, so showed studs for example instead of the drywall or siding on a couple of walls. The  skp file opened and started working with Lumion.  The video recording is quite impressive, smoother to move around, and has a wide angle lens that automatically operates when you move the camera position back.  The surfaces are more realistic than softplan. Photographs are quite impressive also, with more lighting options. So far so good.  

Downloading Twin Motion today to try that.    

Softplan 18+, Lumion 6,  Vimeo.  Windows 7 Pro, 32gb ram, Assus GE force RXT 2800, I-7 -3770 3.40 GHZ 4 cores. 

SkylightHomebuilders.com

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

Having had no experience with either Lumion or Artlantis, it's hard to comment, but 3DS format normally has the surfaces "hard coded" into the 3DS export so they cannot be edited.

What import formats will Lumion or Artlantis accept?

Exporting a complete model from the 3D tab in DWG, DXF, 3DS or POV (the only 3D formats that Softplan can natively export) may be easier than going through Sketchup as an intermediate step.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

According to Lumion's website - "Many file types including .DAE, .FBX, .SKP and .DWG files can be imported into Lumion from many CAD software packages." I'd export a complete 3d model as a DWG file directly from Softplan's 3D model window, and import it directly into Lumion, without the SKP intermediate step.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Dominic Ward

Dominic Ward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, Washington

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

Hello Bryan,

Another software to try is Simlab Composer 6 Pro. I just bought it yesterday while it was on sale for $199 and it does a very nice job of rendering and also animation. If you are interested please check out there website at www.simlab-soft.com. and then do a google search for the best price. It is on sale until the end of the year. They do have a demo so you can try before you buy.

Dominic

Dominic Ward

Currently using Softplan 2014 Version 3.4, Softplan 2016, and Softplan 2018 version 3.0

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lumion, Artlantis, Sketchup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users