10 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Zink

Ryan Zink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

I have been meaning to do this for awhile but finally took the time to get it done.  Here is an excel spreadsheet to calculate any rater heel height for any thickness of wall.  Just fill in the 3 yellow spots.  Let me know what ya'all think.

Next up, I am going to work on a rafter tail spreadsheet for adjacent differing pitches.

***Apparently you are not allowed to attach excel sheets so if you want a copy of this spreadsheet, email me.  Ryan@Zinkdesignservices.com

• Thomas Davis likes this

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

You might want to add the file though Ryan!

I believe that you spent some time on that, and without seeing the file I'm going to make a few comments ... they may or may not be relevant:

1. Truss manufacturers use differing butt cuts. The only way to know for sure the heel height is to get the actual butt cut from the truss supplier - I believe that Softplan uses a 1¾" butt cut. Our normal supplier uses a 1¼" butt cut.
  2. Truss heel height doesn't vary with wall thickness.
  3. If you are using rafters (as opposed to trusses), when you open the roof options in Softplan, If you input the pitch, rafter depth and input the seat cut as the wall width (or whatever you require), Softplan will automatically calculate the heel height.
  4. Depending on your location, you may need different heel heights on trusses. Under the Ontario Building Code, the minimum insulation over the top of the wall has to be R20. So no matter what the calculation comes out as, the trusses have to be manufactured with at least a 5½" heel height.

... and having done all that, Softplan will still calculate things wrongly, because it still INSISTS on putting the fascia up to the TOP of the roof sheathing. 

Ryan ... apologies, reading this through again, it sound as If I'm being ungrateful. I would like to assure you that this is not the case, and I would like to see (and download) your Excel spreadsheet. I was just pointing out some issues.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet with butt cuts and heel heights etc. I'll post that on Saturday when I get back to work. There may be something on it that you can use too - (alternately, it gives you a chance to see where I screwed up ... ).

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Ryan-I used to create one a long time ago but mine was just a chart, not real interactive.  Load up the file as I would love to see it. 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#4 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

Ryan- I would like a look also! Thanks

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

This is mine ... Like Tom's it's more of a chart - I have it printed out on my wall - but there's quite a bit of math in the boxes. I have to admit that I created this before I figured out that adjusting the seat cut in Softplan would do most of the calculating for me.

2016.01.23_09h06m45s_001.png

Note: The parallel chords are assumed to be sitting on a 2" x 6" wall.

Attached File  Heel Heights.zip   10.86KB   295 downloads

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Ryan Zink

Ryan Zink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

Keith, I have not found the softplan heel height to be accurate at all.  Additionally, this spreadsheet does take into account any wall thickness.  We are starting to see TJI rafters more and more so I wanted something that was adaptable for various sized members

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Ryan, although you can't attach EXCEL files, you can zip them, and attach the zip file.

Keith

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Keith, I have not found the softplan heel height to be accurate at all.  Additionally, this spreadsheet does take into account any wall thickness.  We are starting to see TJI rafters more and more so I wanted something that was adaptable for various sized members

Thank you for the spreadsheet Ryan ... Running some test calculations, Both my spreadsheet and yours come up with the same results. BONUS, I must have done something right.

However, I'm not sure why you have found Softplan's heel heights to be NOT accurate, there's a bit of rounding to be sure, but they are within VERY acceptable tolerances. The two screenshots show your calculator and Softplan's roof options menu - 2" x 10" (9¼") rafters 10:12 pitch, and a wall thickness (seat cut) of 5½" ... I can't make Softplan show any figures different to yours.

2016.01.23_12h21m14s_002.png 2016.01.23_12h17m10s_001.png

Keith

#9 Dennis Rogers

Dennis Rogers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:05 PM

Hey, I was reading this forum and would love to get this heel calculator, but do not see it on here.  And the chart from Keith is not downloading.  Does anyone have it that they can attach?  I would greatly appreciate it!

#10 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

Not sure if anyone knew or not but Ryan Zink, the original poster here, passed away a couple of years ago. He was a good guy who enjoyed helping other people so, if anyone else still has a copy of his spreadsheet I know he wouldn't mind you sharing with any or all.

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

I have a copy of Ryan's original calculator (the same as the screenshot in post #8) if anyone wants it (or my spreadsheet) send me a message. 

• Mike Hersker likes this
Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users