4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Fischer

Jason Fischer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGranger, Indiana

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

When you have multiple floor windows (stairwells, great rooms, etc.), what is the best method to set up the windows so they display correctly in 3-D?  When I set them with an offset for a window that crosses through the floor level (such as in a stairwell), I am able to see the exterior wall material through part of the glass area from the other floor.

#2 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:48 PM

Not sure if it is the best way, but I use a wall from the upper floor that has a negative elevation.  This allows me to place the opening anywhere on the wall.

Keep in mind if you want to see the wall on the lower floor, you can place a wall then un-check the "Extract in Model" box under the common tab so it doesn't mess up your 3D's.

You can also place a blank opening on the lower wall with the actually opening on the upper wall and adjust the offsets accordingly, but this can be quite challenging....

#3 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

Sorry, not "Negative elevation", rather Negative Offset".

Sorry!

#4 Jason Fischer

Jason Fischer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGranger, Indiana

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:29 AM

Thanks, I didn't think about it coming from the upper floor - always tried from the lower floor.  Thanks!

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

I'd bring the window from the upper floor with a negative offset, but I wouldn't offset the wall. I'd use a cross opening in the wall below, the same as with a garage door. That way you can also dimension to the window on the lower floor plan even though it isn't actually there.

• Jason Fischer likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users