#21 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

exactly.  that would be a great sales tool for new people or converting from other systems

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#22 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hello,

Would be handy to be able to assign a number to a bearing wall and have that number correspond to

one of the roof lolipops so that once referenced unless manually moved they would stay locked to the 

desired location.

#23 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:37 AM

i want dynamic rounding of dimensions.  Have wanted this for a long time and have about given up hope.  Currently when a dimension is rounded up or down to say an 1/8" of an inch.  If I move the wall that it is attached to the dimension numbers do not change and we have to go back and update that rounded dimension to reflect the new distance.  The dimensions are dynamic and update automatically when we use the "inches" check box, so i'm fairly confident it could work the same way when they have been rounded up or down.  It's easy to make a mistake and move a wall and not catch the fact the dimension didn't update automatically.  

#24 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

I disagree Brad.  Remember Softplan is as much of a BIM program as it is for drafting. Even when I worked in AutoCad or DataCad I set the limits to 1/64".  If it is off it is not the program it is my work and I need to correct it.  Would hate to be on site and have the builder say "close enough" or "add more caulk".  Yes it is frustrating sometimes and trying to hunt down the problem but 9 times out of 10 it has saved me embaressment from letting it get to the field, and I learn more about the program for it. 

#25 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

I disagree too. The only time I round dimensions is when I have 45° angles that throw the dimension to less than a 1/8" and even then there are not too many of them to have to deal with. Most times I even leave those.

How come you're getting so many that you need the program to round for you? Can't you edit them to be correct?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#26 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

If I have 90 degree walls and I see a 64th dimension I definitely hunt down the problem and fix it by moving the walls.  It's when I have a house with 45 degree angles in it that softplan is so accurate that it shows the 32nd dimensions.  

It seems like I have a lot of houses anymore with 45 degree angles in it, some of them are quite complicated and I end up with maybe 20 dimensions on a floor plan that are rounded down and are no longer dynamic.  I can't send my plans out there with walls and concrete measurements being accurate to the 64th of an inch without getting laughed at by contractors (much less the dimension text gets too long).  I round down the dimension to an 1/8" or 1/16th of an inch which is feasible with concrete or stud framing when out on the site building something.  Now that the dimensions are rounded down they do not automatically update, so if I happen to move a wall the dimension continues to read the same rounded down measurement.  It's an easy way to make a mistake with a measurement in a plan, then all of a sudden I have to answer the phone call as to why the concrete was off.  Then how do I explain that one, I can't blame the software without sounding silly.  I just want that dimension to stay rounded down but be dynamic in it's ability to stay updated.  They were able to program the "inches" function to be dynamic I would think the same could be said for the rounded down measurements.  

I just try to eliminate every opportunity to be wrong on a set of plans that I can control.  This is just one of those areas that if i'm not really careful with it can be very easy to make a mistake.  

#27 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

I agree with the growing number of angled walls that customers are liking.  I think the best option is to modify them indivisually with either a round up or down or clinking on the +/- box (my choice).  Plus that it changes it to red lets you know it is not a "true" dimension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users