7 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne Stokes

Wayne Stokes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:12 PM

Good day everyone. I am sure that this has been answered before but I am presently having a problem with a 1 1/2 storey cottage where I need to put in a window on the gable end. The problem I am having is that I cannot get my second storey walls to fit the roof or soffit. It will just not work. I have done this before without too much problem but this time  it won't work. Secondly, I have tried to insert a window on the second level but to no avail and I even tried to fit the main floor exterior wall to the roof and adjust the window offsets which works for the walls, but I can't get the window to go in the second floor. The window attaches itself to the window below and i get this stretch trim between the two windows. I have spent literally hours just trying to do this last night and again today and I now thinking that it must be a variable that I can set or something like that. I have attached a rendering of one side of the cottage to give you an idea as to the problem.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Attached Thumbnails

• Problem gable end.jpg

#2 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

Hi Wayne-

Try this first. Change your wall height back to normal.

Click 'edit' on the edge of the roof and choose 'gable end provided by roof' and choose your siding.

Then in the same edit window, choose 'gable vent' then click on vent options. From there, you can choose the window (or any opening) you would like to add.

EDIT: I just noticed this is a 1-1/2 story. My suggestion may not work in this scenario.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

If your roof is referenced to the first floor walls, the second floor walls can't reference it to fit to roof ...

Typically the roof is referenced to a plate on top of the floor system, as that's likely how it would be constructed. Add a 2" x 6" (or 2" x 4" to suit) as the wall on the hip edges.

How is your's constructed?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Wayne Stokes

Wayne Stokes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

Jason, your method worked.  Keith, you are correct, my roof was referenced to the first floor walls. In terms of construction, my intention is to use attic trusses to incorporate the second floor assembly.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

For future reference ...

In this instance, since the window was separated from the first floor, Jason's method worked. However, in some circumstances, say for instance a balcony inside a cathedral ceiling area where the window is high enough to intrude into the GABLE END PROVIDED BY ROOF, then that wouldn't work. In that case, fit the first floor wall to the roof and add a window above the first floor windows, adjust the offset to suit, and hide in plan.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Brian Ficek

Brian Ficek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND 58501

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

I have had this situation come up a few times and using the gable vent option works.  The other way I have done this is actually draw second floor walls on the gable ends.  Still on the second floor go to roof and check on Multiple floor roof so that the hip roof side references the main floor.  On your gable ends you can fit wall to roof.  Most of the time I used the first option.

Fine Line Drafting & Design
Brian Ficek
215 Airport Road
Bismarck, ND 58501
www.facebook.com/FineLineDrafting.Bismarck.nd
www.fineline-drafting.com

SoftPlan user since version 9 (2003)
Current SoftPlan - SoftPlan+ 2018
AutoCAD user since R12 (1992)
Current AutoCAD - AutoCAD 2019 LT

#7 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

Good day everyone. I am sure that this has been answered before but I am presently having a problem with a 1 1/2 storey cottage where I need to put in a window on the gable end. The problem I am having is that I cannot get my second storey walls to fit the roof or soffit. It will just not work. I have done this before without too much problem but this time  it won't work. Secondly, I have tried to insert a window on the second level but to no avail and I even tried to fit the main floor exterior wall to the roof and adjust the window offsets which works for the walls, but I can't get the window to go in the second floor. The window attaches itself to the window below and i get this stretch trim between the two windows. I have spent literally hours just trying to do this last night and again today and I now thinking that it must be a variable that I can set or something like that. I have attached a rendering of one side of the cottage to give you an idea as to the problem.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne, I'm not 100% sure on this but for the issue of the window and trim attaching Have you tried editing the windows and under the Header Tab check Exclude From Unit Openings.   I know in plan if I place two windows close to each other they want to mull together and I have to check "Exclude from Unit Openings" to prevent this.   Might be doing the same thing with the exterior trim as well ?

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Jim, Yes, the EXCLUDE FROM UNIT OPENINGS is the answer. Obviously no-one else bothered addressing that part of the question.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users