#1 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

Is there a way of merging together 2 identical walls into 1 continuous wall. Ex. if I want to delete the fireplace, it still remains 2 separate walls

Attached Thumbnails

• Fireplace - Copy.JPG
  • No fireplace - Copy.JPG

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

I don't think so ... it's something I've wanted on a number of occasions, as redoing multiple windows has never been worth the trouble. Thanks for bringing it up!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:16 PM

I'm not exactly clear on what you're asking here. Are you wanting to show two different options for the same wall? If so why not use the Building options feature. You can turn on or off the fireplace as a building option keeping the same wall.

Mike Downing

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

No as I understand it, and what I've experienced myself is, if you have a 20ft wall, a 6ft fireplace and a 20ft wall, If you delete the fireplace (for example) and join the walls, you are left with 2 - 23ft walls that are Identical. with openings in each. the ideal would be to delete the fireplace and be left with a single 46ft long wall with all the openings in place. At the moment it either stays as 2 -23ft walls, or you can delete one wall and extend the other, but you have to recreate all the openings that were in the deleted half of the wall.

Using building options works, but also means recreating a single wall once the Building Option has been removed.

Basically what we would like is to be able to remove the fireplace and "heal" the wall where it was removed.

Explained really badly, but hopefully you get the picture ...

• Jim Johnson, Yvon Gonthier and Tom Rogers like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Glenn Mitchell

Glenn Mitchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationComox BC

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

I often use an arch for that.

The arch makes a hole for the fireplace and can be included in the building option when eliminating the fireplace.

The hole can be any size or height of course.

Also useful for bump outs that do not go to the floor level.

The wall continues smoothly under the bump out.

• Warren Ducote likes this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:36 AM

A fireplace was just an example, it may be a breakfast nook or similar. anywhere that a single wall plane is interrupted. Making an arch is a great option, but only works if you have thought about deletions in the original design.

Keith

#7 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

Keith has it right. Also, although a good option and I've used it in some case, the arch affects your ceiling and is a bit more awkward in the case of a bump out.

If you keep them a 2 walls joined together, it sometime prevents you from adding a new opening because of the wall join.

#8 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

I'll give Tech Services a head start, .. this new function will be called 'Weld'

• Warren Ducote, Jim Johnson and Tom Rogers like this

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#9 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:52 AM

I have been wanting this function as well. I think that it would just need to be a part of clean up. If I draw 2 lines that are separate but end up butting right next to each other, once I run clean up then join into becoming one line. So it would be nice to have the same exact thing happen with the walls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users