48 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Stover

Jeremy Stover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

Hey All,

Just a few more things that I believe would be very helpful for the next version of Softplan:

1) The cloud project organization...right now projects on the cloud (at your home screen) aren't really organized in any way, and it makes it very time consuming to scroll down through and find a project to open up/work on.  I think that if this could be organized in Alphabetical order, or even by date maybe, this would save a ton of time.  Or maybe have an option of organizing by either Name or Date (pull-down??) - but Alphabetical would be very helpful. 

I, for example, can easily see where it would save so much time to see the list pop up on the home screen as follows:

--ABC Builders - Project 1 - John Doe Residence

--ABC Builders - Project 2 - Jack Frost Residence

--ABC Builders - Project 3 - Hilary Clinton Residence

--XYZ Builders - Project 1 - Rambo Residence

--XYZ Builders - Project 2 - Braddock Residence

--XYZ Builders - Project 3 - Donald Trump Residence

...etc etc...If it was alphabetical, it would be so easy to immediately find the proper builder and then from there easily find the project.

2) Opening schedules could be a lot more fluid/organic.  The other day I happened to do an opening schedule and didn't double-check the plans I was given (shame on me - lesson learned) but I had a few exterior doors on the plan that were 7'-4" tall and the opening schedule spit them out at 6'-8" tall...not even sure what the point of the schedule is if it doesn't generate what's on the plans?  If we could get it to read out a bit more accurately that would be great.  Same thing with jambs.  If we include jambs in our schedules, the schedule ought to know what size wall the window is setting in...my auto-generated schedules always have 4-1/2" for the jambs (sometimes 0" actually), even if it's in a 2x6 wall...or a block wall...if we could correct this it would be very nice.  Maybe add another checkbox in the "Miscellaneous" tab that has a few different jamb options, or add a dropdown in the misc. tab (4-9/16", 6-9/16", Field-Jamb, etc) and then that could generate into the opening schedule?

3) Could we make a checkbox for doing "solid-core" interior doors?  For that matter, if we could do a drop-down in the door-edit misc. tab that would let us pick materials that would show up on the opening schedule and/or Softlist that would be great.  (Masonite, Hollow-Core, Solid Core, Wood - break up into Pine/Oak/etc - Interior French, etc). 

Just some thoughts.  Still loving Softplan - it's hands-down the best CAD program out there for residential and I've been trying to get people to use it for several years.  I'm sad to see AutoCAD still holding the market in schools/colleges. 

~Jeremy

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

Agree wholeheartedly with the project list. I don't use the cloud, and most of the projects shown on the list are cloud based. Even ones that I sent a Technical query 18 months ago are listed, but a project I opened last week and didn't have any contact with the cloud isn't listed. To be honest, it's ALMOST useless.

Not sure how your doors showed 7'-4" on plan and 6'-8" on the schedule. I didn't think that was possible. How did you edit the plan height? I've never had openings not show correctly on the schedule, but to be fair I only generate basic schedules.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Neil Paquette

Neil Paquette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLudlow, MA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

LAYER MANAGMENT!!!

#4 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

Need some more information on that Neil, please.

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#5 Neil Paquette

Neil Paquette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLudlow, MA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

Okay, just a few simple requests:

1.  LAYER MANAGEMENT!  I have been requesting this for some time and can't stress this enough.  The ability to create a new layer in the middle of the list of layers, not just at the end.  Also to be able to drag a layer from one portion on the list to another.    Putting layers in an alphabetical or numeric order is never a solution.    

2.  For those of us who use multiple monitors, being able to keep the layer manager up/open while working would be a real treat.

3.  Lastly,  since I use Softplan on a variety of types of jobs, more custom drawing modes would be very helpful.  Especially on commercial jobs.

I will say that I love the 'Fade' feature on the layer manager.  Another ridiculously  overpriced, overly complicated CAD package (That will for now remain nameless) that I use at another firm , does not have this feature. It is a huge time-saver for layer management.

Neil

Softplan  V12

User since V5.

• Warren Ducote likes this

#6 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:20 AM

I have wanted "LAYER MANAGEMENT" as you call it and have made product suggestions for the last two or three Versions. I want to manually be able to sort and arrange layers as I want them. Hasn't happened yet and I'm not holding my breath that it will be done in the next version. It seems like layers is just the red headed stepchild!

#7 Dominic Ward

Dominic Ward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, Washington

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Another feature I would like is smooth walk-through tools or real time walk-through ability with real time rendering. An example of this feature can be seen with a program called simlab composer 7. A real time renderer and you can walk around in real time as the scene updates. On my computer it takes about less than 2 minutes to for the scene to render once you stay still. What it has is what is called fast rendering or real time rendering. Your scene starts out pixelated then quickly improves over time then once you stay still it improves rendering. Pretty cool and also you can get this program for a great price until the end of the year if interested. Works great with softplan 2016 as a exported file like 3DS.

Dominic

Dominic Ward

Currently using Softplan 2014 Version 3.4, Softplan 2016, and Softplan 2018 version 3.0

#8 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

Domonic...I've been playing with simlab composer but I haven't been able to do much because the demo how to's seem fairly vauge.  Is there a manual included or an online help feature? The quality and speed of the renderings and animations seems exceptional.  How long did it take you to get proficient with it?  It really seems to have promise.....

thanks Sam  

#9 Dominic Ward

Dominic Ward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, Washington

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

Hello Sam,

Sorry for the late reply but I don't visit this board everyday and lately I have been busy with moving into my new home. Anyway yes there should be in the help section should be a link to videos and a manual. Now that's where mine is (I have the full version not the demo) I know that if you go to their website find youtube link then search for tutorials. They are working on new videos for version 7 but you will find that version 6 videos give you an idea how to run the demo. I only been using the program off and on for about a year now. I only use it for renderings when needed. When I ordered it they had a 30 day return policy so that you could ask for your money back if you find that it does not meet your needs. That was about a year ago in December. You can look on the order page to see if they still offer a refund or send them an email asking them if they still offer it. Right now it is on sale until the end of the month. I purchased the pro version (blue box) for my needs and right now you can find it for $199. Please do a comparison to see which version works best for you as they offer other packages.

I hope this information helps you.

Dominic 

Dominic Ward

Currently using Softplan 2014 Version 3.4, Softplan 2016, and Softplan 2018 version 3.0

#10 Troy Lachcik

Troy Lachcik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

Here is a few more ideas that would be nice for 2018.  

1. Better looking shadows on elevations

2. More dentil options

3. More gable end details

4. Double and triple brick headers in trim options

5. Universal on or off for both snaps and ortho

6. A no print overlay option

7. Triple fascia 

8. SoftThought  (reads your thoughts vs. SoftTalk)

9. Corner wall trim to stop at top of splash board.

10. Standardized pen setting for better looking elevations (without having to edit or create custom layers)

11. Window plus vent option in gable ends.

12. edit option for tread thickness on stairs

13. publish 3D model to web site viewer for clients quick access.

14. virtual reality export 

15. more window grid options

more to come........

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

Some nice items there James.

However, not sure what you are asking here:

5. Universal on or off for both snaps and ortho

Don't F11 and F12 do just that ....

and here:

6. A no print overlay option

You can make ANY layer NO PRINT in the Layer Manager, so you can set anything you want to NO PRINT.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#12 Troy Lachcik

Troy Lachcik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:13 AM

For the ortho and the snaps.  Every time you go from move to copy or vise versa you need to turn off the ortho. If the ortho was an on or off for all commands.

for the no print overlay.  If there was an option for the overlay to be no print. There are time that the overlay gets left on and when a sheet gets printed you can see the overlay. if that was a no print option instead of a shaded print.

#13 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Santa, I want a totally revamped render engine;  I use texture mode, I've not used render mode....ever due to the lack of realism, lack of render speed and complexity of too many options and buttons for textures, lighting and the rest of the stuff.

Manual cleanup;  i don't use the help due to the lack of help, Its worthless IMO.  Maybe the lingo gap between US and Canada, not sure.  i just know that it currently sucks!

Santa make me a beta tester!  Common sense useful stuff will finally be addressed before release.

• Cory Ewing likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

... If there was an option for the overlay to be no print. There are time that the overlay gets left on and when a sheet gets printed you can see the overlay. if that was a no print option instead of a shaded print.

Sorry, must have been brain dead last night ... OVERLAY - yes agreed. I was thinking of a specific item you were overlaying like an electrical layer. Sorry.

... Every time you go from move to copy or vise versa you need to turn off the ortho ...

Yes, Hadn't thought clearly about that either. Again, agreed - once it's off, it should stay off, until the user turns it back on.

Keith

#15 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

CLEANUP ... the only command I'm actually afraid of ... Every time I think about using it, I wonder what it's going to "FIX" that I didn't want editing. No matter how many items I remove from cleanup, there's always something it changes on me.

I would like all items to be OUT of cleanup (by default), and only use the "PERFORM ITEM CLEANUP" to cleanup specific items when I want it used.

• Warren Ducote likes this
Keith

#16 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

CLEANUP ... the only command I'm actually afraid of ... Every time I think about using it, I wonder what it's going to "FIX" that I didn't want editing. No matter how many items I remove from cleanup, there's always something it changes on me.

I wish Softplan would learn that No means No  :angry: I don't want to clean-up an item, then leave it alone.

• Tom Rogers likes this

#17 Terry Babcock

Terry Babcock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRochester Minnesota

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

nice ideas on the snap and cleanup.

roof cleanup has been a particular hassle. uncheck it, and sure enough- eventually SP starts trying to outthink me.  Should be able to set roof/ freeze it/ edit a plate height either for visual cleanup or some other reason and not have roof moving around if cleanup is not checked

EDGE DESIGN GROUP

5234 80TH AVE SW

BYRON, MN 55920

terry@rochester-for-sale.com

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

#18 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

Here is a few more ideas that would be nice for 2018.  

4. Double and triple brick headers in trim options

11. Window plus vent option in gable ends.

Adding to the brick headers I would love to see arched headers over a square top window.  Any fix on arch headers at all would be an appreciated update.

and on #11 you can switch to windows by just going to another library; however you are limited as to what you can do with those windows (shutters, grids, ext.).  Improving that would be the cost of an upgrade for me

Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#19 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

I think James meant that he would like to add a window in a gable end and be able to add a vent over it as well.

Keith

#20 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

I agree with that James.