9 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:53 AM

i was worndering if you change the wall in syster options for those wall would that change all the projects or just the one i am working in I am little hesitant to do that

i see one the is on the forum it i cant see if the 4.5x5.5" post at 8' oc can you do that in a wall i started to design and i cant figure out how to add the post in the wall or do you have to do them seperately Thank for any Help

Ron

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

If you change the wall in the system options, it will be available for all NEW drawings, it will not affect any already started drawings.

Look at it this way ... The system options are the drawing defaults. Whenever you start a drawing it opens with all the default settings, but you can edit them at drawing level to customise each drawing independently. Once you've started a drawing the ONLY options that matter to that drawing are DRAWING OPTIONS.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

The POLE BARNS I've done, I have designed the post layout, and added the "pole barn wall" outside that.

As far as I'm aware, you can't add the post into the wall definition. Even if you could, the chances of them being where you want them is VERY SMALL.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:35 AM

If you're a SoftPlan+ subsciber a how to Pole Barn video has been recently posted to the Traning Video Library.  One of the chapters is available on SoftPlan's You Tube channel at https://youtu.be/ZnvjThL46WM.

#5 Tim Booth

Tim Booth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

-Extended Wall Definitions:  There are dozens more wall definitions built into the program than what is loaded by default.  From the Main Screen go to System Options-Define Wall(not the + by it)-then on the right under Load Default Wall List the option of Extended includes all of the extra walls including Pole Barn Walls, Glass shower walls, Log Walls, and more.  If you are already into a drawing that does not include these walls, after you have loaded the walls in System Options you need to go to Drawing Options-Define Wall-Reset to System and that loads your System Option wall list (which is now extended) into a previous started drawing.  To reverse this start back in system options and select "standard" and it loads the default walls for future drawings.

It took me a long time to figure this out.  I have found that customers are very specific where they want their poles placed (edge to edge as well as on center) and the pole barn wall definition under the "extended wall definitions" does a great job of scaling to the posts.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

BEWARE:

If you are using ANY custom definitions, and you Change your DEFAULT WALL LISTS, these will default to the AS SHIPPED settings and you will lose any customisation.

You can get round this is you really need to, by saving and reloading custom walls, but it's a bind. Although not as much as it used to be.

My personal preference is to load the extended wall list right off the bat and stick with it. Having said that, NONE of my walls are as shipped

Keith

#7 Tim Booth

Tim Booth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

BEWARE:

If you are using ANY custom definitions, and you Change your DEFAULT WALL LISTS, these will default to the AS SHIPPED settings and you will lose any customisation.

You can get round this is you really need to, by saving and reloading custom walls, but it's a bind. Although not as much as it used to be.

My personal preference is to load the extended wall list right off the bat and stick with it. Having said that, NONE of my walls are as shipped

Good Point! I never thought about that.  So yeah, load the extended walls and leave it.  Just checked and I did lose a few custom walls I created after I switched back.  Oh well I guess i need the practice redoing them.

#8 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

thank for all your help my toughts are if you can set the stud wall to 16" or 24" oc why can you not do the same thing in this wall

Ron

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

Good Point! I never thought about that.  So yeah, load the extended walls and leave it.  Just checked and I did lose a few custom walls I created after I switched back.  Oh well I guess i need the practice redoing them.

You don't have to re-do them. If you open a drawing containing them, you can selectively export walls to a wall list, and then re-import them into the system wall list. However, as I said earlier, it's a bind, and much better not to lose them in the first place.

Keith

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

thank for all your help my toughts are if you can set the stud wall to 16" or 24" oc why can you not do the same thing in this wall

You can, you can use a 2" x 6" stud wall and define the studs as 5½" thick and 8'-0" spacing if you wish, and calculate the wall lengths so that the "stud" poles are in the correct position. However, I suspect that in most situations it won't do exactly what you need it to do. Drawing the poles (just like it would be constructed) and the strapped wall separately, gives you much more flexibility in positioning. Also, the poles will only show up in framing mode.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users