#1 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSouthaven, MS & Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

I have just finished a drawing I plan to use in a new web site.  I am going to place a lot of furniture, rugs and so forth in the plan and do a 3-D rendering to also be used in the web site.  But then I would have to go in and uncheck display for all the items to remove them from the plan. Then if I want to display  them and make changes I have to check them again.

So I an wondering what others think is the best way to do this.  One is to copy the floor plan and save as 'Furniture" and add the furniture to it.  But I have never used Layers or Buildings Options.  Seem like both would work?  Just would like to know what others do. 

Jack Carson

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

I use both layers and building options. The main difference is that if you put it on a layer, when you turn it off, it turns off in plan mode but will still appear if you generate a section or 3D. If you put it on a building option, when you turn it off, it won't appear anywhere.

#3 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Yvon, I think building option might just work best.  One question about that.  If I turn it on and enter regenerate it show the furniture.  Then I turn it off, click regenerate and will the furniture go away? 

Jack

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

Yes ... You really should use layers and (if required) building options ... it adds another level of possibilities.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

I also use both in some cases but can be a bit more confusing. One advantage with building options, if that's what you need, is that it's interconnected with every plans within the plan your working on. This means that, if for example, you have furniture on the basement, ground & second floor, when you uncheck that building option, it's off on all the plans. With layers, you have to turn it off plan by plan. It depends on your needs.

For my building options, I set a different color for each each options and uncheck the boxes for "Use Item(s) Color". This way, it's easier to see that your on the correct option. This helps also if you edit an item to put it on a building option because you have to be careful when you edit an item. If you edit an item already drawn to put it on a building option, you have to check the box for the required building option but you also have to uncheck the box for "Default". If you draw your item while your building option is active, then only that building option is checked (default won't be checked).

#6 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Why not use 3D in the Mode Menu?  Same place you select drawing, electrical, roof, etc.  Its at the bottom of the list just before the custom modes.  Thats where I usually put 3D symbols that I don't want on the actual construction drawings. 

#7 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

I have wasted a good part of the day trying to use building options to place furniture to where I can turn both the  2-D and 3-D on and off. I can get it to work once on and off but then after that I can't get the furniture back in 3-D.  You can turn the furniture on and off in layers and the 3-D mode on the drawing.  But in either one once you generate  the 3-D view the only way to remove then is erase one at a time.  So I decided my best bet is ti just copy the main drawing and place the furniture on it.  That works every time.

Thanks to all who helped.

Jack

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

...  once you generate  the 3-D view the only way to remove then is erase one at a time ...

You're definitely doing something wrong Jack. Regenerating the 3D should always show what's set to show on vice versa. You don't ever need to erase them ...!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:48 AM

Ensure that the furniture is ONLY on the furniture building option, and NOT on the default layer too - (NOTE: Unlike layers, items can appear on MULTIPLE building options). There should be no issues turning the furniture option on and off. In extreme cases try closing the 3D model and reopening it.

Keith

#10 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:03 AM

I taught about the multiple building option driving home last Friday after posting my answer and realized that Jack is on 2014 so multiple building options shouldn't be an option in this case (I think). One thing that can be confusing is if it's on a building option and layer but agree with Keith that something is set the wrong way. Maybe you should attach an example Jack of the spd plans (zipped) so we can look deeper.

#11 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:54 AM

Yvon, I reported the problem to tech support.  They sent instructions on how to make it work.  But it didn't.  I sent all files to them Tuesday.  Should hear back today.  Once it's all figured out I will post the solution.

Jack

#12 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

Here is the latest in the missing furniture.  To be clear, I am talking about the 3-D Textured mode.  Using building Options you can turn off and on in the drawing model, no problem.  When you create a Furniture Option in Building Options you can move furniture from the Default Option to Furniture Option, make visible, regenerate and the furniture is there.  Turn off visibility and of course the furniture is gone.  Turn visibility back on and the furniture is gone for good. 

I sent an example to tech support and they agreed. They had the same results as me.  So they said they would send a suggestion in regarding this matter.  Not real sure just what that means.  But for now I just do a "save as" and copy the drawing and place the furniture there. 

Jack

#13 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:59 PM

Jack, when you say that you turn the visibility off you are talking about turning the building option on or off?  I am currently designing a house that the lady went from bungalow style to low country farmhouse.  I put all items from the bungalow onto a building option (roof, beams, slab, ceiling) and created a new building option for the new farmhouse and redrew the pieces to make it and I can flip back and forth no problem.  I also do this on my rendering with landscape (3D and billboard trees) so that when I change my views from street view to lake view they can flip back and forth and I don't have to do and extra drawing.

Is it all your furniture that  disappears or just some of it?  I wonder if it certain pieces or if has something to do with 2014.  What I am doing is in 2016.

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users