#1 Steven Kirchoff

Steven Kirchoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSt. Cloud, Minnesota

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

Is anyone exporting their plans to truss manufactures using SoftPlans MiTek?

1. If so, how is it working for you?
  2. Is there a cost to us this feature?

Thanks.

#2 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

I've offered it to my truss guys, but they preferred the PDF files and want to draw it themselves.  There is not cost to use this feature though.

#3 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

I just sent my 1st house to them yesterday, and they loved it!  They want me to do this going forward.  It was easy and didn't cost anything.  Required an activation code that they emailed, but otherwise smooth as silk.  I have another truss provider that also uses Mitek and wants no part of it.   So, it will depend on your supplier's preferences.  

• rick hoge likes this

#4 Steven Kirchoff

Steven Kirchoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the insight.

I think I will talk to my truss manufacture and see what they think.

Thanks again.

#5 Keith Owens

Keith Owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

It will definitely depend on the manufacturer.

There is something else that might be of help to some designers (depending on how much you are involved with truss review and/or truss design for your plans), the truss manufacturer has the capability to export a DWG file of the layouts - it literally takes a couple clicks of the mouse. This was you can import as a softplan drawing, and overlay on your floor plans. This makes it very easy to adjust the layout for mechanical chases, recessed lighting, plumbing drops (if your using floor trusses), etc. - and to make sure it fits the way it's supposed to without just comparing dimensions.

I used to draw the layout for them to input to minimize the back and forth - now I have the luxury of actually using Mitek's Sapphire Structure software and designing the trusses myself. It's definitely some advanced software, but like any software, has it share of bugs.

Another tool that's nice for review is Mitek's Viewer software - it's basically a stripped down version of the design software. You have the ability to move around their 3D model...and they have apps for Apple devices. Very cool stuff

#6 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

I send the truss guys, a PDF, DWG and mitek files

They trust the DWGs best, But I keep sending all 3 and probably at some point they will be like send the Mitek.

The coolest thing with the Mitek, is have the truss plant send you back a mmdl (I think) formatted file and I forget how to down load it , go to mitek and get a download of sapphire viewer,  it is a movable 3D view of the trusses, with all the webbing and all.  Really neat view.

#7 Steven Kirchoff

Steven Kirchoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

I tried exporting a drawing to the truss manufacturer but all he got was a text file. I followed the steps on how to export using MiTek but it does not work.

What am I doing wrong?

#8 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

WHen I did the export it created mxf files.  There is one for each of the floors in my floorstack. 

#9 Mike Hersker

Mike Hersker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, Indiana

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

As a Truss designer myself with just a basic knowledge of Structure it was easy to EXPORT from SoftPlan and Import to Structure.

I was exporting my own SoftPlan files to Mitek's Sapphire Structure but gave up on it.  Just didn't seem to be worth it.

We really tried to investigate it further and after talking to Mitek's Software Engineer and SoftPlan (myself) this past November. 

Maybe it has improved. Not sure how the licensing and money plays into it, but I'm sure that's why it was pretty generic. 

... the basic outline and roof was exported easy enough... the more experienced Truss Guys, saw or expressed that wall info (XML file) that was imported was too "generic" and usually took longer to re-define a wall that Mitek's Structure would understand rather then starting from scratch. 

I am curious if it has improved.

Tech49 when we open the file in the viewer we have no options like this to view the wall materials. I think this is a limitation of the viewer and what it can provide for information. If you believe that we are missing important information for the export I will forward on this suggestions to development on your behalf C124951 Just to clarify your using "Sapphire Viewer"? Are you importing as a "Generic Solid Wall" or "Mapped Wall Style" or does it not give you that option? I get different results into my actual Sappire Structure (see screen shot)? Tech49 can you please send me one of your exported Mitek exchange files so that I can review it here. when I export a plan that has a completed drawing, the Mitek exchange file imports with all the exterior/interior walls, opening (windows/doors), and the roof outline. when I click on the doors and windows the side information in the Sapphire viewer list the correct size of the openings and doors. C124951 According to Mitek Software Engineer, currently my XML file, that I exported from my SP2014, is an older version. Hes contacting SoftPlan to discuss. I can import into My Mitek, however there are a couple bugs. I know SP has been playing with this since 2009 / 2010 ?? "OPENINGS" and "WALL" types are my issues or concerns at the moment. Roof framing is not a concern. I will design the Trusses in Mitek. Tech49 "when we export files to MiTek we export the bearing walls and then roof outline only. I do not believe we export any options for the roof framing you have created in the SoftPlan Drawing." when the mitek user opens the plan they would be able to see the outline you would like the roof to have and then walls they bear on. 

#10 Kevin Johnson

Kevin Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationParksville BC Canada

Posted 23 June 2023 - 02:20 PM

I have Softplan 2022. I just tried for the first time to export a Mitek file.

All I got was a text file with the project name and the floor names in my model.

In between, there was tmp files for the floors and a text file for the project, which quickly disappeared in the destination folder. I did a screen shot quickly to read what they were.

I also got a pop up of an agreement to read from Mitek. I didn`t click agree. Then I got  an email from "Mitek Lice"  after filling out the request from it for my name. Company name and email.

Then an email came from them with an activation code and deadline date.

No Success, any thoughts?

#11 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 11:08 AM

Yea, seems PDFs and maybe sometime DWG serve the truss guys great.

but on the flip side, bringing the sapphire back in from their Mitek is a really nice deal.

Show the 3d trusses to the customer, they love it, and is a great way to check the trusses out

#12 Bruce Schlittler

Bruce Schlittler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 July 2023 - 03:04 PM

I would say the activation code was for MiTek's View software. I do not have MiTek any longer to try and see if that is the case.

Bruce Schlittler

#13 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 07:15 AM

I have to call Mitek every year or so and have them give me another updated program, so i can open the file sent from the truss guys. They are real helpful (Mitek)

As far as sending to the truss guys, i'm thinking they just are OK with PDF, probably as "SHAPES" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users