Setting Pier Height Under Beam in Foundation Plan

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CT_*

Guest_CT_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hi,

As I've written, I'm still pretty early in learning so hopefully I'm able to communicate clearly enough even if I don't have all my concepts sorted out.

My question is about the bottom level of the foundation drawing when I create a pier and beam structure. How do I change it after I have created my beam with posts under and since deleted the foundation wall from where the post/beam height was derived?

Put another way, here are the steps I have taken ending in my question:

1. I created a foundation drawing and it works in my model with the main floor.

2. I changed wall type to 8” block and set the height to 6.5'. All good in 3D.

3. I deleted the foundation walls where I instead wanted a beam on concrete piers.

4. Using my reference point, I made a beam and offset it so it sits just under the wall above in 3D.

5. I drew 12” concrete posts under it and fit their height to the bottom of beam.

6. The post height is correct EXCEPT my post footing/pad is not part of post height. I could just change post height for pad depth but the post height is set by “adjust height to fit beam.” If I unlock “adjust height to fit beam”, the posts go back to growing out of an imaginary base level created by a wall that's no longer there. If I leave them locked the pad is not visible because it's below this imaginary base level. How can I adjust either this imaginary base level or include the pads in the post height math?

Sorry I couldn't make this more simple but I really appreciate anyone who attempts an answer. I'm watching this thread so I'll answer any questions for clarification quickly.

Thanks in advance!

CT

#2 Chris Stewart

Chris Stewart

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

I am not sure I understand. A drawing would be helpful.

You can manually set the pad height and offset as well as the post length. 

I do not know the reason for creating a block wall and then deleting it. 

All comments are my opinion only and may or may not be correct
-Chris

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

You can edit the post offset. So you can tell the post its 9" up from the "0" level - Then uncheck “adjust height to fit beam” and then recheck “adjust height to fit beam” the post height will be recalculated automatically. What's actually setting your height is the height of the beam.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

Chris, Keith,

Thank you - I did get it.  Once I had "adjusted height to fit to beam" I could adjust the offset up just like you said.  My error - won't be the last...

There is still something I may not be getting though.  Chris, you asked why create and delete a foundation wall before adding piers.  It's the only way I'm understanding to set this "0" level of the foundation bottom.  In my mind it's my "bottom of excavation" and in 3D anything below it is not visible, as if flat.  It's also the level the "elevation offset" is measured from for piers.  Is there a better way to set this level for pier construction other than creating foundation walls of the correct height and then deleting them and then adding piers?  

Thanks in advance.  Again.

CT

#5 Chris Stewart

Chris Stewart

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

You would simply create the floor system and then set the offset to what ever you want.

And then place piers underneath.

(all the walls do for you is keep you from having to manually enter the offset)

If you are using a wall around the perimeter than I would treat that as another floor (like a basement)   

All comments are my opinion only and may or may not be correct
-Chris

#6 Guest_CT_*

Guest_CT_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

Thanks, Chris.  Makes perfect sense.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users