8 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy Pierce

Tracy Pierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hello all,

I want to have an optional crawl space drawn as a building option.

Slab-on-grade would also be a building option that can be turned off when using the crawl space option.

My problem is that once i add the crawl space floor system(sill, joists, rim, subfloor) it offsets all my interior cabinets and appliances up the height of the floor system even when the crawl space is turned off and the slab is turned on.  (by building option)

I realize i could go into the plan and delete the floor system and then fix the offset of the walls every time i draw the plan but would rather the program work correctly so we don't have to do that every time we build the standard slab foundation.  i also don't want to have to go in and draw all the joist sets every time somebody pays extra to get a crawl space floor system.

Same thing happens to all the interior mode items(floor covering, wall covering) even outlets get offset up the height of the turned off crawl space building option.

Am i missing something or does this program not allow both a slab floor and crawl space floor system drawn at the same time.  i thought building options were supposed to turn everything off if the option is not selected but the crawl space joists still get taken into account even when they don't show on the plans.

in order to create this picture i ran a square building and added a slab floor inside.  Slab is on a building option and then turned off.  i also added a crawl space system put in on a building option and turned it off.

i then turned the slab back on which is how our master plans start(slab-on-grade).  Because i had a floor system my walls are offset.  i pulled them back down to 0" so they sit on the slab.  However you can see the wall still thinks there is a rim joist there and the cabinets are still sitting on top of the turned off subfloor although they are at different heights. 

Softplan support help said do a cleanup in 3d.  That would work if there was no floor joists, but having the joists on a building option are still calculated(even when turned off). 

Editing the cabinet says it is sitting at a 0" offset but the top of the slab/bottom plate of wall is at 0.  I can't uncheck the product code in order to set it to a negative offset because then i will lose the manufacture in the cabinet schedule, and because cabinets don't have a level option i can't pull it down that way either.

I'm sure somebody out there has drawn both floor systems as building options and got it to work.

Has anybody ran into this before or have any tips for me?

Attached Thumbnails

• Slab vs Crawl.jpg

#2 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

have you tried drawing the crawl space foundation as a separate drawing

you could call it foundation.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#3 Tracy Pierce

Tracy Pierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

That was actually how my guy drew the plans with the floor system on the foundation plan when he first started.  He actually had both slab and crawler on there.  We moved both onto the floor plan for a couple reasons.  The biggest is that we are trying to use the 3-D capabilities of Softplan instead of just using it for the floor plans and using line drawing elevations which we have been doing ever since version 9.

The problem we ran into having the floor system on the foundation is that the main floor doesn't read the foundation so we ended up with exposed rim joists below the walls with no way to extend the sheathing or siding to cover it which happens automatically if the floor is on the main floor drawing.

Also running the floor system on the foundation does mean i have to uncheck my product code on all the cabinets in order to adjust the offset.  Which means the manufacture won't show up in the cabinet schedule.

I could live with that but having an exposed belly around the bottom of the house won't go over with the bosses.  Anybody know of how to fix that or have any other ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

• CabinetOffsets.jpg

#4 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Don't forget you can edit the exterior finish to cover floor system

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#5 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

Would this work? Complete your floor pan on a slab and then make a copy of it. Modify the copied version to have a floor system (remove the slab from this floor plan). You'll also want to make a foundation/crawlspace plan to use with this version. Now it's just a matter of which drawings are assembled in your model stack. If you want a slab design, just drag the floor plan with the slab into the stack. If you want a crawlspace version of the design, then you'll want the floor plan drawing with the floor system (and also the foundation drawing) to be assembled in you model stack.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

Don't forget you can edit the exterior finish to cover floor system

Not if it's on the top of the foundation, rather than underneath the main floor.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

... If you want a slab design, just drag the floor plan with the slab into the stack. If you want a crawlspace version of the design, then you'll want the floor plan drawing with the floor system (and also the foundation drawing) to be assembled in you model stack ...

I think that's the way I would go about it too.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Going on what Philip said you can create these optional plans (Slab & Crawlspace) using walls that have Zero height so the slab and wall systems will function properly, but when stacked it will not interfere with the overall height.  Just "Save As" your floor plan to and use the "Wall Height" command to set all walls to zero.  The floor-system will caver the rimboard with the siding from the Zero wall.

Good idea Philip!

#9 Tracy Pierce

Tracy Pierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

I will give the separate floor plan a shot that has zero height walls which i would have the crawl space floor system on. 

That sounds like a working solution.  As soon as i get a chance to try it i will let you know how it works.

As a side note i am thrilled with how the building options work for other items.  Normally a set of construction documents might take us 8 hours to accomplish for a given house.  Using the building options we have cut that down to a 3-4 hour draw.

thanks for everyone's help / ideas.

• John Jones likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crawl space, slab, building option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users