• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MEGAN CAMPBELL

MEGAN CAMPBELL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

Can some tell me which they would recommend and why? I have searched what the benifits are one vs the other. I like some of he benifits of the plus version but concerned about others. Does the plus version always have to connected to the internet to be used? My apologies if this topic has bee covered already. Thank you for your time

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

For us, the monthly cost of Softplan+ (which is always upgraded to the latest version INCLUDED in the price) versus the 2 years cycle cost to upgrade was a no brainer. The extra's - technical support, symbols etc. was just icing on the cake.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

Agree with Keith. You don't have to be connected all the time to the internet as long as you're not working from the cloud. Don't know if it affects the availability of some symbols, would have to be confirmed.

#4 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

I think the cloud is a very important element.  You could find another method to backup your data such as another drive or computer or even another cloud service.  If I lost my plans I would be up a creek.  It represents a lot of work and my livelihood.   You could have a fire (heaven forbid), or someone could steal your computers, etc.  At least, whatever I lack to do to secure my work, I "know" my data is secure.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

... and I am almost the opposite. I turn off the cloud based functions. Our office is out in the countryside, and our internet connection is slow and intermittent at best.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

I work with several other clients who have SoftPlan and I insist they have the cloud, it makes sharing so much easier, no email hassles.

#7 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

I agree with above.  The no brainer cost of having the most up to date (looking forward to 2018) and the cloud and sharing with my outsource drafters (requirement to work for me).  Also being able to use desktop and a surface with just moving the key is great.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#8 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

Cloud storage:  My job directories hold much more data then SP stuff.  I keep sketch scans & notes, .pdfs, invoices, energy reports and beam calculations.  This stuff is NOT backed up to the SP cloud.  Considering I pay for a 3rd party cloud storage to store ALL my data, i'd not hold this feature in high regard.

If anything i'd complain about the opening job button colors; (whats current with the could and what is not).  Yellow and Green are almost identical in color to a color blind person....like me.

I've pointed this out early upon the release of SP+ 2 years ago, apparently its not important.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#9 MEGAN CAMPBELL

MEGAN CAMPBELL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

Thanks guys for your response. I jumped the gun and purchased softplan 16 before submitting this topic. I am going to see if they will let me switch over to the subscription base softplan. Has anyone done this?

#10 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

They are real good about it and will just charge you the difference.  Should not be a problem

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users