Grid Bubbles

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*

Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

I am looking at all the sample drawings and through the help files and can find no reference to using grid lines with a bubble. I realize this is not normally a residential thing but having used them now for a while, I really prefer to have them. Any easy way to do this? (I had an image but I'm not allowed to attach it)

Kris

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

Softplan has a grid setup under Options-Grid Setup.  If you need the bubbles for identification, create a separate drawing and use multi drawing with the grid as one of the separate drawings and then label.  Maybe not as convenient but you can create a work around fairly easily. 

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

What do you mean by "with a bubble". Please explain what you are trying to do?
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*

Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

The grid setup is not the right thing for this. Basically I draw a grid line to all the exterior corners of the building and perhaps for some other important items. Softplan's grid setup has a fixed spacing which is not useful to me. I see that I can draw lines and circles and create a grid network manually. Not the best but would get the job done.

With regard to using a multi drawing, I don't know how this works but I thought Plan Sets and Multi-drawings couldn't coexist. Lots to learn here.

Kris

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Why do you need the grid? What are you trying to achieve?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:41 AM

Kris,

Create a drawing called grids.  Put in your vertical and horizontal lines (roughly how many you need) and edit the lines to be the style you want for your grid with bubbles.  Next create a drawing and call it Multi D Plan and Grid.  Stay in your created Multi drawing and Enable this drawing to Multi.  Add your main drawing and your drawing called grids.  These drawings are now overlay-ed.  Now make sure sure grid drawing is active and move the lines anywhere you want.  Use dimensions if you want.  After you have all the lines in place, go back and label them.  Place circles around them, etc.

Now you have your grid system you can merge the drawings or keep them separate.  I am old school and still use Multi drawings.  If plan sets can overlay like I describe then you can use that.  Anytime in the future you need the grids with bubbles you can copy your existing grid drawing and modify  Other than labeling being automatic I think this would work quite well for you.  If what I described is already apparent to you, I apologize.

Kevin.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

I assume this is what you are looking for:

2017.02.15_10h31m54s_001.png

If this is the case, I'd create the grid and save it as a symbol to use on multiple drawings

Keith

#8 Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*

Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

Kevin, I will investigate this. Perhaps someone can comment on the mixing of multi-drawings and plan sets.

Keith, I can't attach an image so will do my best to explain. The grids are a network of lines, horiz and vert or oriented to the axis of the building, which align to the major elements - building corners, posts centre lines etc. The bubble is a circle at the end of the line with either a letter or number as an identifier. This is almost always used in commercial and industrial drawings but rarely used in residential drawings. It makes it really easy to identify which part of the building you may be discussing as well as being a great help in estimating, eg. labeling a beam on grid b between grids 1 & 2. I use grids on all my drawings and certainly want to use them in Softplan which seems possible without too much work.

Kris

#9 Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*

Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

Keith, Didn't see your post before mine. Yes, that is exactly what I want. I will look at your suggestion.

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

In that case, I'd definitely create a grid to suit, and make it into a symbol.

• admin likes this
Keith

#11 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

Kris,

By using a symbol as suggested, allows you to insert the symbol in your main drawing or a separate drawing.  You can explode the symbol and all your lines and labeling are now editable, movable, etc.

• admin likes this

#12 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

I would create it as a separate SoftPlan drawing and put all of the items on a custom layer named "bubble grid"

I would then use the "copy to SoftPlan clipboard" function and paste it into any drawing I wanted it to be in.

It will retain the layer you assign it to, you will just have to make that layer visible in your current drawing.

This will keep the grid drawn to scale, and also gives you the ability to turn it off if you desire to, as well as allow you to assign different pen weights / colors to that grid layer.

• admin and Jim Johnson like this

#13 Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*

Guest_Kris Marteinsson_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

Okay, some good suggestions. I will try them. Thanks.

Kris

• admin likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users