Old builder - New Company -SoftPlan??

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gordon_*

Guest_Gordon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

I ran a 1- 2 man custom homebuilding company for 25 years.  From the office, management, and design standpoint everything was old-school.  I use a zillion Excel spreadsheets for estimating, billing, etc. most of which I created.  Our designs were hand-drawn by my draftsman, we had no stock plans and changes took forever.

We're considering re-creating our company from the ground up utilizing technology to our best advantage.  I'm looking at Builder-Trend Management Software and SoftPLan for our designs and plans.

I have lots of business and building experience but no CAD drawing experience at all. I'd like to be able to input 20 or so of our past projects in SoftPlan as a starting place for our offerings.  What do you folks think the likelihood is that I will be able to get this up and running within a reasonable period of time.

I love the idea that we'd be able to create new designs in-house, renderings for marketing , and estimates and material lists.

It sounds like a complete game changer to me and the possibilities re-ignite my enthusiasm for building homers.  Am I expecting too much or is SoftPlan really that good?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

... Am I expecting too much or is SoftPlan really that good? ...

Yes, it really is that good ... !!!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

There is a bit of a learning curve especially if you have no CAD experience. The renderings are as good as you are willing to put the effort into them. The drawing portion of the work is reasonably quick and plan changes can be made easily. With the "BUILDING OPTION" feature you can have several variations of the same plan within one drawing if you prefer to do things that way. Softlist makes quick work of construction budgets once you spend the time needed to customize it to your needs.

We considered using Builder Trend but went with another system. Not sure we made the right choice. Builder Trend is a good system.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• FAMILY ROOM NO FIREPLACE.jpg
  • master bedroom.jpg
  • RENDERING 1.jpg

• John Jones likes this

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#4 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

Like any software package, there is a learning curve to get up and going and feeling really comfortable.  Fortunately, SoftPlan has a series of video tutorials to help.  If you will diligently follow these tutorials and practice what they teach (not just watching them), you will get up and going in a reasonable amount of time.  The basics are really pretty easy.  As you work on plans, each one will bring new challenges and teach you a little more.  Keep at it.  You will only get better with practice and completing each project.  In addition to that, tech support is really responsive and helpful and you always have the folks on the user forum to ask.

It sound like you are making some wise decisions.  You will find that as you put your plans into SoftPlan that changes will take a lot less time not to mention the ability to see things in 3D before you ever lift a hammer.

#5 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

Softplan is definitely the way to go. It's the program that you'll be able to get going in the fastest time.

Now, are your expecting too much? It's always hard to evaluate depending on the person’s skills, the complexity of the plans and how far or accurate you want your plans to be. When I started in version 8, within 2 weeks, I was doing pretty good. I have to admit that with all the different options that are part of the latest versions, the learning curve might be a bit longer especially if you want to push the limits of the 3D and Softlist.

But Softplan offers many options depending on your learning curve. It might be worth investing in a bit of personal tutorial to get going to reduce the learning curve.

Always nice to be excited about a new project and Softplan can be a huge part of it.

#6 Guest_paul tacy_*

Guest_paul tacy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

I have been drawing "on the board" since 1968, no CAD experience at all.  First of all, no matter what you want to do, I can say you're not expecting too much of SoftPlan!  It will do whatever you want to take the time to learn how to do.  But the learning curve for me was frustrating, because I know house design and construction, but am not the most computer literate person on the planet.  It took me at least 8-10 months before I could truly say I was comfortable with the program for this reason.  My advice - hire someone with good computer skills who can also design a house rather than the other way around.  This will make the "reasonable time" to get up and running more "reasonable".

And of course, any and all questions I've ever had were addressed through the sage advise of the members of this forum.

Good Luck

Paul

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

Gordon I have been a builder for 44 years, doing masonry and carpentry as my personal trades . I have ran crews over the years as many 21 men plus subs. I started using Softplan to help with my estimates in around '95 /'96

not even considering using it as a designing program,before the building crunch I was drawing about 95% of the houses we built ( usually 24/25 homes a year) if you have been in the manage part of construction I think you will do great it does take time but you get out just what you put into it ( I know thats an old saying) but in this case its true I am still learning and my work has started to pick up hope to upgrade to 2018 if it holds. Take care and enjoy your designs Chuck p.

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks to you all for your comments, advice and encouragement.  I'm watching some of the videos and will download the demo to get a feel for it.  My understanding is that the demo can do everything except print.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

BTW Martin, Those renderings are pretty incredible.  Did the picture of the Beatles come as part of the SP library? ;-)

#10 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Something worth considering as well is what you mean by becoming comfortable with the program ?   You can certainly get up and going with

the basics pretty quickly but like with all complex programs they are so broad and capable that learning never really ends.   Even many years

into it's use most of us are still learning new tricks tips and commands.  It's an ongoing process.

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Although not quite as good as Martin's, here's a couple of examples from me. Like all aspects of drafting etc. the more time you spend, the more detailed you can make the finished product.

Interior 1.jpg Interior 2.jpg

Interior 3.jpg Interior 4.jpg

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:32 AM

Do you all have your own plotter/printer in office or do any of you out-source the printing?  For those of you that have a plotter/printer, what are the recommendations for a modest volume unit?

I hear you, Jim about the ongoing learning.  I work with recording and music writing software and you never seem to "master" it.

Thanks for posting your renderings, Keith.  Great looking work.

#13 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

We have our own printer because except for very odd plans, all is done on 11" x 17" so it's not a problem. Used 24" x 36" many monns ago and we had a plotter then used out-source the last years.

Soemething that's going to help you Gordon working with Softplan is that with Softplan, you don't draw a house, you build it (If you use the program properly. Always amazed how some use so little of the power of Softplan). So, as a builder, this helps a lot.

#14 Guest_Don Gibbons_*

Guest_Don Gibbons_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

I have an HP T120 and do mostly 18X24, it'll do 24" wide and whatever length. I usually go through 25 to 30 150' rolls of paper a year and it's been a great machine for $1200.00, that was 4 years ago.

I also have an HP OfficeJet 7610 that I use for 11x17 and that also works great.

Don

Version 2 to current.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for that insight Yvon about "building" a house as opposed to just drawing it.  That perspective somehow makes it more of a constructive/creative endeavor and not just a technical one.

Don.  I looked the HP T120 per your post and they are currently available for under $1000.  Do these print just large format are can you print standard size paper as well?

#16 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Gordon as Yvon mentioned approaching the design from "building a house" works well. With 47+ years hands on residential construction I find it 

easiest for me to actually strip the building to the bones using Softplans framing ability to create a visual view of the building and catch any possible

problem areas etc. The attached views show example of house covered and framed. Steve

Attached Files

#17 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

I also have the T120 and have been pretty happy with it.  Especially for the price.

You can print basically any size your want from Letter Size ( 8/12 x 11 ) to Arch. D size ( 24 x 36 ).   

#18 Guest_Don Gibbons_*

Guest_Don Gibbons_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for that insight Yvon about "building" a house as opposed to just drawing it.  That perspective somehow makes it more of a constructive/creative endeavor and not just a technical one.

Don.  I looked the HP T120 per your post and they are currently available for under $1000.  Do these print just large format are can you print standard size paper as well?

They can print up to 24X36 off the roll feed and do have a sheet feeder for other page sizes. I just went with another printer to do 11x17 and smaller so I'm not switching things around all the time.

#19 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

Gordon as Yvon mentioned approaching the design from "building a house" works well. With 47+ years hands on residential construction I find it 

easiest for me to actually strip the building to the bones using Softplans framing ability to create a visual view of the building and catch any possible

problem areas etc. The attached views show example of house covered and framed. Revised with JPEGS , Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• SP Covered Example.jpg
  • SP Framing Example.jpg

#20 Tim Booth

Tim Booth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

I have been in the lumber business for 23 years with the same company and was promoted to draftsman in June of last year.  I spent 2 solid weeks studying the 1,000 page instruction manual and doing the tutorials that are included with the program.  With zero previous CAD experience I put my first plan out in less than a month.  I don't want to say the program is easy by any means, but Softplan is very simple to start drawing with after doing the homework.  Complex items are in the program and the folks here on the forums are genius' at figuring ways to make something complex seem simple.  The 3D is amazing and helps customers see what they are getting before ground is broke.  As the above said, it's as detailed as you want it to be.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users