#1 Wouter van Tiel

Wouter van Tiel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hello,

New user here, but long time, 20 years, builder and designer on another package. 

Standard stud height is 92 5/8" but when I go in "system options /define walls edit" to design custom walls I see that Softplan uses a stud height of 91.5 and that has me befuddled and I wonder why that is.

I am trying to develop a full system wide library of the walls and other items that I repeatedly use so Softplan works efficiently for our local way of building.

We build walls with one plate 1.5 + stud 92.625 + 2 plates 3.0 for a total of 8' 1-1/8" height. How does Softplan do it differently? Do I need to adjust the plans so it works in the field? Am I missing something?

Please let me know how it is working for all you design builders.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garage walls vs house walls.jpg

#2 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

You are correct, ..studs should be 92 5/8", ...why Softplan has a 91.5" dimension puzzled me as well,..

.. you will have to edit your wall heights to 8'-1 1/8

.. the stud should change to the proper length as the plates are fixed as 1 1/2"

I've also noticed that a 2x10 joist is at 9 1/2", ..rather than the 9 1/4" it should be (CDN)

2x8's, I believe are listed as 7 1/2" .. rather than 7 1/4"

.. could it be the original programmers, ..? who knows ,.. 

There may be short cut to do this, .. I don't have Softplan in front of me as I write this, so I can't explore that avenue, ..

Maybe some other user can post the quick answer, if there is one.

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#3 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Depends on where you live.  92 5/8" here in utah as well.  In oregon where I grew up and my brother builds, they are all 91 1/2"....they don't do baseboard there so no reason to have a taller wall with a gap at the bottom of the sheetrock.  We've had this discussion here in the past....its just regional preferences.

#4 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

8'-1.125" is the standard here as well. Just add the wall at that height when defining.....or you can edit the walls in the drawing and then repeat edit box and change all of them very quickly if needed.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

We use 92-5/8" too. All Softplans walls default to a straight 8'-0". Now personally, I'm not a fan of 1/8" dimensions so all my walls are defined with 92-1/2" studs. If I was you, I'd go into the system walls and edit every one of them to what you want to see, but it has been mentioned on a number of occasions that I'm anal.

EVERY wall in my library is a complete custom, and all the walls are drawn in multi-colours with multiple pen thicknesses. I think the default "out of the box" settings are awful, but again, have I mentioned that I'm anal ...
  • Wouter van Tiel likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Wouter van Tiel

Wouter van Tiel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

Keith, Thanks I share your opinion. It surprised me as the power of Softplan is pretty amazing, but the defaults are not so great. Then again nothing that can't be fixed in a few hours, well and then some by the time you fix all the inside and outside trim, the rock rim and cap stone and a few other local preferences. But then you have a personalized powerhouse. So that's ok. 

I did search for the topic but it did not pop up so I posted this.

Thanks for the help all. Always good to see you're not alone and that you're on the right track and not missing something.

And yes we frame to the 1/4" at worst but if the stud comes in 1/8th" I'll just draw that.

I guess I am anal too and hey, I get binary!

#7 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

I have never found the 8' standard height a problem.  I draw my walls for the house layout including the exterior and interior.  Then I edit the heights.  I will have 8' walls that I edit to 8'-1-1/8", 9'-1-1/8", and 10'-1-1/8".  All other walls are just the callout such as 11', 12, etc.  Editing the heights is quick and easy.  If a wall run needs to be split between two different heights, I cut the wall , adjust, and edit the height. 

• John Jones likes this

#8 Wouter van Tiel

Wouter van Tiel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

Kevin, 

Thanks. That is a different approach and one that I need to learn. It seems that the concept for Softplan is more draft something and then edit it to what you actually need. Both vertically and horizontally. It's a different approach, might take getting used to, but seems plenty fast. I am usually thinking I want to have everything in a default setting so when I draw a plan I get exactly what I want right away without editing. I am so new at this program I struggle with the conceptual issues like these. I could stand to have a better grasp on what the steps should be that are most efficient. Anyway, onwards learning this very impressive software. 

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

If you set it up how you want it in the first place, then you don't have to do all the editing.

AND yes, the general concept of Softplan (as I was taught when we first purchased version 5) is sketch out what you want ... walls, window. doors etc, and then edit them to EXACTLY what you want them to be. In Version 5 the openings were all sketched. Just choose window: FROM - TO, and then edit to the size you want, and edit the dimensions to put it in place. DON'T ever worry about drawing accurately, just dimension everything and edit the dimensions to suit.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#10 brian praye

brian praye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

We use 92-5/8" too. All Softplans walls default to a straight 8'-0". Now personally, I'm not a fan of 1/8" dimensions so all my walls are defined with 92-1/2" studs. If I was you, I'd go into the system walls and edit every one of them to what you want to see, but it has been mentioned on a number of occasions that I'm anal.

EVERY wall in my library is a complete custom, and all the walls are drawn in multi-colours with multiple pen thicknesses. I think the default "out of the box" settings are awful, but again, have I mentioned that I'm anal ...

I totally agree about that 1/8".  Wonder where that notion came from?  I assume everyone is clear on why the walls should NEVER be framed to 8'.  The 5/8" drywall ceiling goes up first, and if the hangers had to rip 1/2" off of every wall, they would be seriously brassed off!  My custom wall is 8'1", with the drywall set to 96", but elevated 3/8" up, to perfectly match the ceiling GWB. fwiw.

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Having said that, using 5/8" subfloors, all my section dimensions seem to have eighths in them anyway ... maybe that 1/8" would make things easier after all ...

Keith

#12 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Things are so different all over the world that there is no way things could be programmed to make everyone happy.  5/8" Subfloors?  Never seen that EVER....3/4 usually and 1.125" on high end custom stuff.  5/8" Ceilings?  Only in a garage here.  See?  We all do things so differently because of how its always been done in the area you live in.

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

5/8" subfloors are standard throughout Ontario (as far as I'm aware) on joists @ 16" o.c. Although we do use 3/4" extensively on our Beaver Homes and Cottages Packages. We generally only use 1/2" drywall on RC-1 channel on ceilings.

Keith

#14 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

i was told a long time ago that, in reality, in california that studs  up to 2x8's are 1/2"

and

studs 2x8 and over are 1/4"

or was it visa versa ?

and not sure these fractions still hold true.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#15 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Randy,

Here in utah that would be true on 12' and longer that would be used as plate material.  Precut studs here are always 5/8 ....92 5/8, 104 5/8, etc.  I think it varies all over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users