#1 Tim Booth

Tim Booth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

I had a customer send me a picture of a stair design they want and it seems like a fold back stair is a good starting point but I cant seem to get softplan to do what I want. The house has 9' walls and I need the stairs to angle at the top and bottom similar to the attached picture.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Attached Thumbnails

• image2.JPG

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Start by sketching a 90 degree angled stair with 2 treads/3 rises. Sketch the straight run and attach it to the winder. Sketch another winder at the top and edit the rise to create the last two treads.

Just a word of caution. Check your local codes to see if you are able to have two winders in a single stair run. In Canada this is not allowed. I can, however, add a landing at the top if I need to change directions again.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• winder combo.jpg
  • winder combo.png

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#3 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Code allows you to have two winders but not like that.  The minimum at any edge needs to be 6" and it has to be 10" deep 12" from the corner (IRC 311.5.3.2)

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#4 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:16 AM

That sounds like our code requirements for curved stairs. Our winders must meet at a point, be 45 or 30 degrees and cannot exceed 90 degrees of turn (1,2 or 3 @ 30 - 1 or 2 @ 45)

www.cresco.ca

#5 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

Code allows you to have two winders but not like that.  The minimum at any edge needs to be 6" and it has to be 10" deep 12" from the corner (IRC 311.5.3.2)

in Florida, same thing....I stay away from that kind of stair design at ALL costs.

Too hard to achieve with that 6" min. tread depth requirement.

#6 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

I just read your stairs codes (IRC 311.5.3.2) and that sure does make it difficult to build winders. In the event you are ever working on a project for a Canadian client here is our code covering the subject

Attached Files

• Tom Rogers likes this

www.cresco.ca

#7 Tim Booth

Tim Booth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

Thank you all!  This house is not going in an area with strict code requirements but I will mention it to the customer.

#8 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

Tim-not to get into an ethics discussion but I have a saying that I follow "Construct today what you want of yourself in 15 years".  I have people in the past who have asked me to create bedrooms without proper egress windows.  Tread lightly (no pun intended) 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#9 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

I have to agree with Tom. People want to do what they want to do and pay for and will say that it's ok but when they have a problem, that's a whole different Story. Even having them sign à release is not a protection because laywers come after everybody they can and not respecting a law or code is not a protection even if the clients said it was ok.

#10 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

In this day and age we have become a society of litigants. It is not a good idea to produce a set of plans that knowingly circumvent building codes and or municipal bylaws. I am a firm believer that if you leave your ass out in the breeze often enough somebody is going to kick it! 

Cheers!

www.cresco.ca

#11 Tim Booth

Tim Booth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

Thank you all.  That stair is not going on the plan.  I appreciate all your help.

• Tom Rogers likes this

#12 Paul Tacy

Paul Tacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

First, I agree with everything that has been said in this thread.  And Tim, you made the right decision. 

In Massachusetts, we have amended the 6 inch minimum tread depth to 3 inches, allowing a little more flexibility while not really impacting life safety.  As a Mass. code official, I can tell you that building inspectors DO look carefully at this sort of thing when we do plan reviews.  A good rule to live by is:  Don't try to cheat or short-cut, or eventually you'll be sorry.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users