#1 Richard VanEk

Richard VanEk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Is there a quick way to draw a library style to the back of island cabinets which now has a plain piece of solid paneling.  Just don't want to spend more time drawing it than it would take to make it of 1x 's.   

#2 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Richard select Draw>Cabinets>Configure Cabinets>Shape>Finished Back you can 

then select the door style you would like for the finish back. Library Style? Shaker?

#3 Richard VanEk

Richard VanEk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

I can't seem to get to the finished back (only back panel) and library style is not an option. 

#4 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

Richard is this close to what you are looking for? The back panel and finished panel would be the same.

That is what I used in this rendering.

Attached Thumbnails

• GCK Kitchen 3.4.17 1.jpg

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

What do you mean by "LIBRARY STYLE"?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Richard VanEk

Richard VanEk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Library style, I use a smooth plywood panel attached to the back of the cabinets,(in this case already there) with 1x4 for the base, 1x3's for uprights and top dividing the panel into equal segments.  Sometimes I will trim the resulting rectangles with a 1/2" cove.  It is quick and a low cost way to finished the plain back panel.  Keith what you are showing is installing doors together to create this look at the cost of $100-$200 per door.  What I do with the 1x's can be done in a hour or two and cost about $200.  I done this a lot and also used it as a wains cotting in rooms thus called library panels

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Personally, just to make that work on the 3D, I'd use a custom railing with 3" x 4" toe rail, 3" x 3" handrail and 3" x 3" posts - No spindles ... then bury it 2" into the back of the cabinets to expose only 1". Once you have it defined and working correctly, the intermediate posts will divide any length into equal sections, and can be used repeatedly without any redefinition.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#8 Richard VanEk

Richard VanEk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Keith,  I will build something like that next time I have nothing to do.  Do you then install it on the plan view and push it back into the cabinets?

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Thanks Keith,  I will build something like that next time I have nothing to do.  Do you then install it on the plan view and push it back into the cabinets?

Yes, exactly that - and it's really quick to define, probably quicker than you can draw what you want with solids. And you can easily adjust the exactly equal sections, just by adding extra intermediate posts.

I have a layer called HIDDEN on all my drawings that is set to NOT print, and normally it's turned off. Typically, what I would do is draw anything I don't want on the plans on the HIDDEN layer, so it only shows on the 3D.

2017.03.08_12h35m30s_001.png

Of course, we run into the issue with finishes in the same plane, so I've edited the handrail and the toerail to be 3.03" wide.

For anyone interested, I've enclosed the . spy file, just unzip it.

Attached Files

Keith

#10 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

Richard, Always a way to build it cheaper in the field. Thought you were

interested in how to build the finished back using Softplans cabinet options.

In the field I contact cement door skins vertically to sheet rock etc. and overlay

either a fully assembled face frame or individual pieces dependent on the application.

This gives me the Library Look either on cabinet backs or as a wainscot for in a 

Library for instance.

#11 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

Edit the cabinet and turn on the peninsula selection - that may be what you're looking for. 

#12 Orville Lavinghouse

Orville Lavinghouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Just started using Softplan 18.Working on my first project. I have a snack bar and 2 separate island. What is the best way to develop these sort of cabinetry?

Orville Lavinghouse

225-931-8781

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users