#1 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Someone called today and wondered how much I would charge to do 3D views off of his PDF's or Auto Cad drawings.

These houses are quite basic, approx. 1600 Sq. Ft with attached garages.

He is looking for exterior views and interior kitchen, living room, and bathroom views.

He is looking for 2 prices, one if he provides PDF drawings, and one if he supplies Auto Cad drawings.

He is not looking for landscaping.

I know this question has a lot of variables, but I am just curious if someone does this type of work and a rough idea on how much time it takes you either from a PDF drawing or Auto CAD.

With PDF files the best I could do would be to trace over the drawing to get the layout, and with Auto CAD I should at least be able to import it and convert the wall lines to walls.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,088 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

You've still got an awful lot of work to do!

You're really no further ahead than if a client supplies a sketch (or a brief) for you to design a home from. I would be charging the same as starting from scratch on a project, and MAY give a nominal discount for providing the original designs.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

I agree with you Keith. Just to give me an idea I took one of my projects and saved a PDF of the floor plan and redrew it like I would as if someone brought me a drawing. The fun?? part of doing this kind of work is that it makes no difference how neat or cleaned up my drawing looks because the client will only see the 3Ds, not the floor plans. I imported my PDF into a new project and adjusted it to the correct size. Then I drew my walls over it. After that I moved the PDF away and edited all my dimensions. I wasn't fussy about what size of windows I put in, then edited them for size. I didn't need to worry about them being labelled correctly on the drawing or on a schedule because the client wold not see that. The floor joist layout or orientation is not important either, as long as you have a floor system the correct height.

I spent about 3 1/2 hrs from start to finish to produce the images below. I did not spend time with lighting settings, and probably should have put in more light fixtures to make it more realistic.

Attached Thumbnails

• FRONT VIEW.jpg
  • KITCHEN TO LIVING VIEW.jpg
  • LIVING TO KITCHEN VIEW.jpg
  • MASTER BEDROOM VIEW.jpg

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,088 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

You're right, and it's much quicker than I envisaged ... I didn't think about the NOT doing details or construction notes or any of the standard construction things. In retrospect you can also leave out any interior walls and doors that aren't directly involved in the relevant 3D view.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Keith is right. I am working on a design project right now where the house is being designed pretty much a few hundred square feet at a time. I "window dress" each area so the client gets a feel for what the finished project will look like then move on to the next area. when all the details are worked out then the real work begins. Here is a rec room fireplace wall and two configurations for the same powder room. I added flooring, moldings and ceilings only to the areas needed to be in the picture. The fireplace took a little over an hour but the powder rooms only took about 15 minutes including sourcing the model of the folded towels and creating the symbol (you have to love Sketchup Warehouse!)

Attached Thumbnails

• POWDER ROOM 1.jpg
  • POWDER ROOM 2.jpg
  • REC ROOM FIREPLACE.jpg

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d Rendering, DWG, DXF, Auto Cad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users