#1 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Using Google Earth, you can develop a dwg file of an existing site.....this works great as you can import the dwg file into SOFTPLAN and then use the SITE tools to develop/draw the existing grade and develop a reasonable acurate preliminary topography plan and place the proposed structure on the site and then develop a prelimanry proposed site and grading plan....I have a project of a unique house design for a client who wants a "lighthouse" look for a house on a large lake in Okla....she is looking at developing a sailing school and the site she has picked is quite demanding.....very steep and next to the lake.....so, the ability to get the site topo for free and start the overall site/structure design is a huge time and money savings.....in 250 ft the site slopes up from elev 944 ft at the lake to 1015 ft so one thing she has asked is golf cart type path to transport the sailing students to and from the lake dock....as well as the the house and domority for the sailing students....without the free google earth topo and softplan's site modeling feature, this project would never gotten passed the client's dream as the budget is key.....

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#2 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Harlon, 

Could you elaborate on how you "develop a dwg file" from Google Earth.  I have been using SketchUp Make (free version) and DoubleCad to accomplish this.  However, SketchUp Make will no longer have terrain data available after May 22nd.  I could purchase SketchUp Pro which will be switching to Open Street Map data and be able to continue with the process I use now but would rather not invest if I don't have to.

https://help.sketchu...n/geodatachange

#3 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

Yep....sketchup pro is required....below is a youtube vid on the how-to on getting the contour lines....I only want the lines so I do not complete the entire process shown in the vid and I also use the view from above mode in sketchup after the contour lines are extracted as I want a plan view to use to import into SOFTPLAN, save as a dwg and import ....the scale from google earth is 1:1 so no issue there.....and one thing I do after a preliminary plan is done in SOFTPLAN, I use a high end earthworks software to do a very detailed siteworks quantites .....thus am way ahead in the early cost.....I work throughout the midwest and there are some huge site issues on projects in the Ark and Mo. Ozark mtns....lots of large lakes in very deep river valleys that have a Dam developing some great lakes for recreation etc. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/zN-BsxdvRRQ

Hope this helps....

casekc49@gmail.com

#4 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Also, the cost savings from one civil engineer in developing preliminary contour lines more than justifies the cost of SKETCHUP PRO....a huge benifit of SOFTPLAN is SOFTLIST ....early preliminary cost go a long way in helping a client make the proper cost decisions early....so, on sites that have site conditions that require a bit more of site design, this is the best method I have come across.....nothing bets free plus it puts me ahead of the competition as my design cost are much more competitive....and I get to pocket the civil preliminay cost .....a win...win....I make more money and the client gets a less expensive project.....and if the client then procedes with the design, a civil engineer has a place to start their design.....

casekc49@gmail.com

#5 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSouthaven, MS & Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Harlon, how confident are you as to the accuracy of the Google elevations? Have you checked or did you have the numbers checked?

Jack

#6 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

jack, it is my understanding the elevations are off by plus or minus a few feet, but the overall profile is close and that is what I am after at the preliminary stage....

casekc49@gmail.com

#7 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSouthaven, MS & Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have a piece property about 20 acres and I know the elevations.  It's pretty flat but the SE corner drops off 4 feet.  So I checked it on Google.  First time showed a drop of 2 feet.  So I left Google, started it back up and this time it showed the drop in elevation at 4 feet.  Did it once more and it showed a 4 drop.  So it looks like take the best 2 out of 3. 

But you are right like on the property that has a 71 foot drop a few feet + or - does not matter.

Jack

#8 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

My whole idea is to begin the placement of the house and begin the discussion/design of the structure on the site....I am working on a project now that is on a very steep lot and when I got the dwg file from sketchup, my only concern is the contour profile is close to actual contours not the elevation...example: the lake elevation is at 944 and the very top of the lot at street level is at 1025 in 200 ft...so to say plus or minus 5 feet now is not an issue....just that the contour lines represent the correct contour of the site....I am using a contour interval of 5ft and once the project is released to proceed to Design Development, then the civil engineer is hired and an actual Finish floor elevation is developed....of course all of this is understood by the client....so far this procedure has worked...plus I also visit the site and review the model with the in-situ conditions....lol it is pretty obvious that if there is no lake there then something is wrong...looking for the BIG Picture at the Schematic Design and Google Earth is great in this respect...but you are right, the actual elevations due have variances....glad you pointed this out...a final site survey is a must.... 

casekc49@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users