#1 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

I have a Designer Friend who would like to do the initial design and 3D work but then have

someone ( possibly me ) take over with the boring stuff i.e. working up the construction

drawings i.e generating the plan views, elevations and sections with notes, dimensions and

details.

I'm curious how others feel the time splits out  ( as a percentage ) for the design part vs the

construction drawings part ?

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

That rather depends on how many changes there are from initial concept to final design. If we're looking at a already determined design that is "cast in stone", i would estimate 25% for the walls, openings etc.that are needed to make the 3D's work and 75% to add all the construction notes, details and fine tuning etc.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

I imagine that he is working on Softplan? It's a lot different if you have to start from scratch when the design is done versus if the design is done (and properly) with Softplan and you work with those files. It also depends on what his design includes.

#4 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

This is the business model that I use.  I create all my designs that include floorplans and a 3D model.  At some points I will generate the elevations 2D just to clean up areas if needed for clarity.  From there I send it off to someone in my stable of drafters.  I send each project with a fee and due date with incentives and penalties if they are not hit.  That way it is up to the drafter.  He determines how much he makes per hour by his speed and efficiency (redline corrections included in initial price).  For me it works out great because my client fees for design and documentation are separate.  After taking out for overhead (taxes, insurance, etc.), and a few hours for administrative and checking plans  the drafter gets the rest.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users