Changing Deck Size

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Christa_*

Guest_Christa_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

How do you change the size of the deck?

When I dimension it using the dimension button and adjust the sizing to be accurate I then get either slanted joists or the deck pulls away from the house.

Why is the program so pestering!  It is not intuitive as the others I have worked with!

#2 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:01 AM

If the deck is pulling off the house you are probably selecting the wrong arrow when editing the dimension.  When editing a dimension the arrow you press is to indicate what item will move not what direction it will move.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

Your deck is a certain size, and your dimensions are probably from the wall to the outside of the deck, not from the deck edge to deck edge. Typically the deck will stay the size you drew it, and the dimensions will position it.

The deck joists will follow the reference edge, so if you slope a reference edge the joists will slope.

You can make sure you dimension the actual deck edges by clicking an extension on the deck not the wall and work from there, OR you can use set distance between to edit the size of the deck (again, make sure you click on the deck, not the wall, OR you can use ADJUST to stretch the deck edges to where you want them. There are multiple ways of doing what you need - Softplan ONLY does what you ask it to, the problem is, sometimes you haven't asked what you think you asked.

I've been working on CAD systems since 1983, and used many systems. Softplan is without a doubt the most intuitive I've ever worked with, but then intuition is different in everyone.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

If you use a dimension from the wall to the end of he deck it assumes the deck is an entity and that you want to move the whole thing.

It then moves the deck away from the wall.

Pull an extension line off the outside end of the deck and dimension from the wall to the outside end.

It will move the end of the deck not the whole deck.

#5 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

If the deck moved, you have dimension-ed to the house, not the deck ledger.  Not sure what other programs you've used and thought were easier, but I've found softplan to be one of the easiest design programs to learn....and we have a great group here willing to help!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users