4 replies to this topic

#1 Wouter van Tiel

Wouter van Tiel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

I live in the mountains in Colorado. Our architecture uses corbels extensively for porches, deck structures and overhangs.

They are typically rough sawn beams of 6x6 or 8x8 or larger that sit at a 45 degree angle in the corner of the beam and the post.

My issue is that I am not able to create these in the 3D very easily, support says it is a hit or miss on the adjustments made in length and positioning the vertical end points of the corbel so it comes in at roughly 45. (Mmm it is a lot easier in the field on the saw). So far I create one and then try to copy it to the other places because it takes a long time to get one to come in semi decent but they do not copy at the same angle.

Is there a trick somebody has to create these things in a 1-2-3?

I also have to create trusses for the gable ends and it is hell in the 3D environment. With line draws on elevations it takes a few minutes tops, but that is not the point of BIM software, right?   

Thanks for your help!

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Have a look at this post ... http://softplan.com/...er-roof/?p=8039 ... You can create your corbels the same way (only much simpler) ...

Once they are designed as a symbol. you can use them multiple times anywhere. Also have a look at the standard symbols (search brackets) ... There are some items there that you may be able to use right out of the box.

• Wouter van Tiel likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

check / SYMBOLS / brackets

lot's of stock brackets at different degrees & sizes

you can edit there size > somewhat ?

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

If you're a Softplan+ member, Osborne Wood Products have lots of selection for various stock corbels and brackets.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

I create all mine in SketchUp and then import them as a symbol. I can create correct textures, details, make quick adjustments and change out hardware much quicker in SketchUp. It is a great tool to have in addition to SoftPlan.

Attached Thumbnails

• C1 SW PERS M1.jpg
  • White Timber Porch NWR5.jpg

• John Jones and Bud Branch like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users