#1 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

I am posting this here because I think this is a good place since it is a common problem, at least for me.  I have accidentally opened a drawing file (not the project) in 2018 but the rest of the project is all in 2016.  When I opened it up in 2016 it would not let me open the main floor drawing.  This is a project that has been shared with a customer who uses 2016 and does not have 2018.  Is there a way that I can get the main drawing or a version of the main drawing?  Was thinking perhaps a recovery file or similar.  

Side note I wish that Softplan had some sort of way to save files backwards or at least really make sure that it is where you want to open it.  It seems that people use a lot of different versions and could cause problems.  Or at least Softplan give me a reason why you dont.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#2 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

I have done this many times clicking on a file in windows explorer.

If you inadvertently open a plan in 2018 and do NOT make any changes to it then you can open it in V2016.

Delete the .spp file and you can then open that folder in V2016 again.

The .spp file will be recreated by SoftPlan with the name of the folder it resides in.

I have not tried it but if you DID make changes to it then you should still be able to open the folder.

Delete the .spp file and if the folder will reopen then you can get a recovery file for that plan.

#3 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

I always copy all my files for a project into a Main Folder specifically for the latest version.

I've got original 2014 projects, some of which were copied complete into a 2016 Folder, .. and I'll continue the process when and if I opt for 2018.

That way I was able to avoid the 2016 issues that were happening when it first came out, .. just like 2018 seems to have.

.. and with terabyte drives these days storage space isn't any issue

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#4 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Figured it out.  Deleted the drawing file and was able to open one out of the recovery.  Saved it as the original drawing name and all looks good

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

I think it would be a good idea to have a SAVE AS (VERSION NUMBER) ... So if you have a client that uses Softplan 2012, you could explicitly save as a SOFTPLAN2012 drawing. The same way that AutoCAD does (or at least did, I haven't used it for a while).
  • Nick Moorhead and Tom Rogers like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

I just posted about this in the 2018 forum that I wish that it would warn you that you are about to upgrade a project when you open before it automatically saves the file as the newer version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users