#1 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

any suggestions on what amenities are common for a spec home ?

like web sites with this information.

sizes of rooms

number of bedrooms

number of bathrooms / powder room

entry

living room

den

great room

home office,

etc, etc, etc

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

How big are you going to make it?

What might be considered standard amenities are really dependent upon the size of the home and the location and value of the lot. Also you should consider your target market, and approximate selling price.

Are you expecting it to sell for $250,000 or $5,000,000. It makes a big difference to what features you would include.
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

On a spec home you have to keep all the rooms or areas in balance to the plan.  You can not make a extra large master bedroom without sacrificing some other space in the house.  I get that when designing for a client that wants a particular room large.  I ask, what rooms do you want to make smaller?  Usually I get a puzzled look back.  So to appeal to the greatest buyer pool you have to keep in it balance.  The best market tool is see what amenities others are doing in spec homes.

#4 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

Spec or Portfolio plans are total different way of designing than custom.  You need to design for the masses.  Simple concepts (not too crazy thoughts-i.e. rotunda's or hidden pools).  Also you need to really know and think like a builder and how something may cost out.  A good custom home does not make a good portfolio home; but a good portfolio home can bring you many custom modification projects. 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#5 Daniel Zanoli

Daniel Zanoli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

Nice thing about a spec house is no one is gonna change anything while your building it...No homeowner involved. It is what it is.  For sale take it or leave it. The way the market is today...their gonna take it.  Homes are selling like hot cakes. Builders market. I know a guy who shells em and sells em. Driveway, Well and septic, Shells in the home and sides it. Everyone looking for a good deal has a brother inlaw whos a plumber, or a drywall guy, or does elec.  The best thing is..no one is ever gonna call and complain that the sinks dripping..the drywalls popping...the heater makeing a strange sound. I think hes on to something.  Hes finished in 6 weeks and it sells in days.

#6 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

It also helps to design for the market conditions.  If your market is saturated with run-of-the-mill homes sporting various small differences then I suggest designing something that doesn't fit the mold so you don't suffer commodity pricing for homes.  On the other hand, if your market is flat out hungry for anything, then by all means design something easy and material efficient.

Other things to consider:

• What demographic are you expecting to sell to?  Small family?  Retired Couple?  Trendy Couple?
  • What will the neighborhood support?  Do you want it to fit-in or stand out?

I understand the philosophy of design for the masses, but I feel people like to fall in love with specific and unique details of a plan.  " I bought that house because of the kitchen"  "I bought that house for the man cave"  We've all heard people say these things.  Often times people fall in love with certain aspects of the home and the rest is almost irrelevant. 

Just my thoughts, I do not sell plans to the masses, so I suppose I'm not the best source for advice!   :)  

• Tom Rogers likes this

#7 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:51 AM

HAVE THEM GET A HOME PLAN BOOK AND PICK SOMETHING OUT OF THERE CLOSE TO WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING THE BOOK IS ABOUT 12.50 DOLLARS

SIZE IS A BIG THING

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

The plans in a HOME PLAN BOOK are copyrighted. I assume you're advocating them to buy the plans from the original designer ... If your designing a spec home for a builder, He/She knows what they want included or not included. You should get a full brief from them.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#9 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:44 AM

Spec homes will vary greatly based on the market area that's it's designed for (style, size, needs and price).

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

I would bet that a spec. home in Ottawa or Kingston (the market I'm familiar with), is substantially different to that in California or Florida.

I have worked for tract home builders, and typically what we would build on spec, would be 3 - 4 bedrooms, 2½ bathrooms, Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, Nook (and maybe a Den) - 1200 - 2000 ft² - with optional Rec Room and Bathroom in the basement. On standard subdivision lots varying from 30' to 50'+ wide and 100'+ deep.

Keith

#11 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

I guess I got you all off in the wrong direction.

what i'm looking for is what is as close to "standard" (in most areas since

the plans will be sold around the country and possibly in other countries)

I know it all varies some in different parts of the country but

number of bedrooms

number of bathrooms

size of rooms

square footage (+/-)

what are standard sizes of lots,

etc

etc

etc

bottom line:

what are the majority of clients looking for.

you can please half the people all of the time

and all of the people half the time

but

you can't please "ALL" the people "ALL" the time.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#12 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

A story and half, master, laundry on main floor, open non formal spaces, i.e. no formal dinning nor formal living room, great room if you will, two bed rooms with an expansion space above the garage for a third bed room up stairs, full basement were frost depth is greater than 30", two car attached garage....total sq feet....market driven....floor plan typical "open", ceiling heights....market driven, the bigger the kitchen the better....island and/or eat in bar....a few "different" upgrades....built-in nook booth seating, bump out areas only if space is usuable, i.e walk-in pantry...this type of options help seperate the spec sameness look....varying roof style, and street side elevations also develop as many different kitchen layouts as possible..i.e....gally, L, etc thus the great room takes on a totally different look....spa tubs are fading, but are market driven....media room/study that is next to the master can function as a nursery and later converted....sales people love layout functionality changes as a family grows older....mud rooms in northern cold climates that have snowy winters are a huge seller....the list is endless....to follow what is trending, checkout some big national builders....they have huge market departments that stay on top of market trends national and regional....

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#13 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

4 bedrooms

Master on main

optional room

guest room (preferred on main level

open layout

street appeal

good size kitchen with island

large laundry or drop zone

walk in shower (tub may not be needed) in master

2 car garage minimum

2300-2700 sf

9' first floor 

#14 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

Ranch ranch ranch here.  Haven't sold/built/designed a 2 story in 2 years.

1500-2000 sf

3 Bed on Main

Full Basement with additional 1-2 Bedrooms

"Open Layout"  is always brought up.

2 Baths

minimum 2 stall 26x26 garage.  Though often 3-car 

9' walls both floors

3' Doors to all BR's.  

#15 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

thanks guys

now your talking.

I don't want to copy anything

all original

just want to know what people are looking for.

how about average size of lots

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#16 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

wow...lot size....ouch....huge variables there....but if I was to pick.....70x130....but lots of developers will get by with a lot less....

Out west were water is a bidder issue, lots are tiny, but here and east lots mentioned above are typical and some a bit bigger....

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#17 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

My lot sizes are usually 60x120.  With setbacks that gives me a 50' wide by about 90' deep.  However because of overhangs or masonry I can get down to 48' wide.  

#18 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

Lot size is tough.  I have properties for sale (anyone interested??????) Here are some of the sizes: 175'x214', 120'x361', 90'x134', 83'x218'.   Most of them have 6' side easement, but some have 10'.  Width at curb listed first.

There are also several in-field lots available that are 65-70 wide.  These are all old lots that the city owns due to tear-down of dilapidated home.  

With all that said, most of the time I build on 80' or wider, allowing a 68' wide home.  With the 3-car garage that so many of my customers want, it gets tight.

#19 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Lots here vary greatly with most being 80' x 120' to 2.75 Acres, Several lots in the 20+ acre range

with spec houses from 2,000 to 154,000 square feet

#20 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

getting lot's of great advise,  thanks,

our plans will be for the mass buyers market around the country.

we don't do developments.  only selling predrawn designs.

want to get to the majority of the buyers market knowing

we can't hit all of them.

keep up with all the great knowledge

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users