#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

Hello All,

Well, I've muddled through 3D renderings, and thanks to all of you, I now know enough to be dangerous!  Now I'm trying to get a better handle on elevation drawings.  I thought I could control line p\colors and pen weights for elevation items, but all I can find are setting for plan items.  Nothing I change gives me anything other than blue linework and magenta elevation blocks.  I'd like to have my major break lines a bit thicker, trim lines thinner...

Is there such a setting?

Dave

#2 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

After you generate the elevations and save as a drawing they are listed in the layers. You can adjust them there. Tip hold down shift or control to select multiple layers to edit at once.

#3 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

Once you adjust the layer settings be sure to "Save to System" so that all subsequent elevations will be generated with your modified settings already in place.

#4 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

Thanks Guys.  That is what I needed.  Kept looking for it under system/project/drawing options and couldn't find it!

Dave

#5 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Ok, I spoke too soon.  I thought/think that is what I need, but I cannot get it to work.  I have changed the layer settings, and saved them to the system, loaded the system setting to the project option, and set each drawing to the project settings.  I generate a new elevation and layer setting are correct, but the items are still the old colors/pen settings.  Any idea what I'm missing?

Dave

#6 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

I looks like newly generated elevations saved as drawings do not inherit the projects layer settings. A couple of ways to work around this.

1. After saving the new elevation drawing go to drawing options / layers and reset to project.

2. You could save a new drawing named for your elevation (i.e. Front) then save your generated elevation with the same name. When asked if you want to replace it say yes and then pick merge drawing when asked the second time.

For option #2 to work you have to draw one thing (it can be just a line or anything) before you save the new drawing so you get the option to merge. 

#7 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

Thanks, Heath, but I'm feeling pretty dumb.  screen shot 32 shows my layer setting on the new drawing, and the drawing with everything still the old colors.  Screen shot 33 shows the my drawing disappeared when I saved my layer setting to system.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Attached Files

#8 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

A big drawback when doing a reset for the layers is that most boxes for visible become unchecked. You probably have to go thru the layers and check visible again.

#9 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

As Yvon said it is unchecking the visible boxes that's why they disappeared. You will have to recheck them or option 2 may be easier.

#10 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

I thought maybe my trouble was trying to get an existing drawing to conform to new layer settings, so I set all my layers on system options and drew a new test project.  All my drawings show the correct layer setting, but none of the items have the correct pen colors or line weights.  Went back to the old drawing, turned on the layers, and no change.  Do I need to set the items up somewhere else to allow color by layer instead of blue?  I tried Keith's tutorial on how he does elevations, but I need to be in black and white for my clients, conforming to their company standards.  Anyplace I can learn more about softplan layers and elevation creation?

Sorry I'm so slow on this...

Dave

Attached Files

#11 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Are you talking about on the screen or printouts?
The pen controls what is printed out. The color box controls what's on the screen.
You need to uncheck use item color and use item line style so your layer settings will override the items settings.
There is also a setting in the option somewhere (I'm not in my office) that will display as printed on the screen so that thicker line weights will show on the screen.

#12 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

I would like to use both.  I like having different colors correspond to pen weights. 

Thought I did everything right, and my drawing disappeared again.  With layer visible on and item color and item linestyle off nothing appears.

I can't believe I can generate a 3D rendering, and I'm having this much trouble manipulating a linework elevation.  Am I trying to do something that unique of difficult?

Thanks for your patience and assistance,

Dave

Attached Files

#13 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Could it be because of the black background?

#14 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Hi Heath,

Please create a ticket with the project in question and we can take a better look at your settings.

#15 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

Looking at your last screen shot. You have the color set to black and a black background. The pen colors will not show on screen but will show on printouts and pdfs.

#16 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

OK, I think it is fixed, but I don't understand why.  Fill color is the color of the line/pen, not the pen setting?  I just what some lines darker than others on the print out, and I'd like some indication on the drawing screen what is darker and what is lighter.

Maybe I've spent too many years on AutoCAD and can't retrain my mind???  I think there is a saying about old dogs...

Dave

Attached Files

#17 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

Fill color is the color that is shown on the screen for the line or symbol. The pen setting is the color and the thickness that is on your printouts.

Under options visible items or in system/project options under Mode visibility there is a check box for Display Print Pen Style. This will show the pen weight/thickness on the screen as it is printed.

This allows you the flexibility to have your screen in different colors than your prints but still have the line weights visible on the screen.

I hope this makes sense.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Sp 5.JPG   89.83KB   0 downloads

#18 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Thank you for your help, Heath.  I think I got it.  Going to spend some time working with it to get the drawing and the print out the way I need!

Thanks again,

Dave

• Heath Foster likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pen settings, line weights, elevations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users