#1 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Greetings fellow users-

Yes, I know, this has been discussed ad nauseum with previous versions of Softplan, but I received a glimmer of hope a few days ago where one user stated to me that version 2018 corrected this issue.

With all hopes in hand, I downloaded and installed 2018 as a fresh installation (not copying any 2016 items) and I still have the issue. Please see pic....the icons are already set to LARGE in this pic.

If any of you have figured out a way to make it work, (other than lowering your screen resolution) please let me know.

It's insane to me to have the most current software on a 4k machine and it not work properly. Hopefully I am missing something.

Oh yeah, I have already tried the manifest file "supposed fix" that is found on the web...........and DPI compatibility settings. No luck.

Attached Files

#2 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

I have found another work around for now. Maybe Brent can pass along this info to tech support as they had no clue why at this time.

IF, and only if:

1.Change your resolution to 2048x1152 BEFORE restarting or shutting down your machine and apply the new 'lower' resolution.

2. Shutdown or restart the machine.

3. Machine will boot up with the last known resolution of 2048x1152.

4. Once booted up, and before you open Softplan, change the resolution to 3840x2160 (4k) and apply.

5. Open Softplan and it will look normal and "crisp"

If you shutdown or restart your computer and forget to change back to 2048x1152 before shutting down, your machine will boot up in the 4K resolution to start and when you open Softplan, it will be super tiny.

The diagnoses: For whatever reason, starting the machine in (4K) causes Softplan to have the Tiny Font.

IF you start the machine in any other resolution, and then change once it is booted up, you will not have any issues.

It is one extra step, but no more working with a blurry screen, "just because"

I hope this makes some sense.

#3 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

yes!yes!yes!

salvation to my eyes! thanks for this golden piece of workaround. I tried it on my laptop and it worked perfectly. Much appreciated.

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#4 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

What happens when you go into your Display Settings and set the Display Scaling to about 200% ?

To clarify, this issue affects all applications and can have a different solution depending on the monitor resolution and the graphics card used.

This link has a pretty good explanation:

https://www.tekrevue...isplay-scaling/

#5 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Hi Brent-

Increasing the display setting on the slider bar (up or down) only effects certain items within Softplan. IE: the menu names/tabs.......and when opening other applications, they are super large and not useful for working.

The icons (dimensions, extension, line, wall, etc) remain super tiny and unusable even if this is adjusted to the largest percentage.

The ONLY fix i have found is what I did in post #2.

I would love to know what graphics card users have with their 4K machine and IF this is the culprit...........others online with different software (Adobe photoshop) are experiencing the same tiny issue.......

....Does tech support have a 4K machine to use to try and duplicate this issue?

#6 David Bateman

David Bateman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew Glasgow, Nova Scotia

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hi:

Currently using a AMD A10-5800 with a GeForce GTX 960

I found that the solution offered by Brent has worked perfectly for my 4K screen...

-Marlin

• John Jones likes this

#7 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

When the Display Scaling to increased, the only items that should be small are the icons on the toolbar or on Windows Dialogs. These icons are pixel based so they will scale according to the size of the pixels.

Higher resolution = More pixels = Smaller pixel size = Smaller Icons.

System Options - Use Large Toolbar should help with the toolbar icons somewhat.

We are running an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 card, our monitor is configured to 3840x2160 resolution and it looks fine.  

It is possible to have other settings set that will alter the output, but increasing the display scaling is generally an accepted solution while accepting the limitations presented by pixel based icons..

#8 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

I too have the GeForce GTX 960 card. 250% is the "suggested" percentage for my machine. Changing to 300% or higher has little effect on the icons.

Here is what I see:

when set to 250% and 3840x2160, icons set to standard in system options:

Attached File  standard1.jpg   151.69KB   3 downloads

when set to 250% and 3840x2160, icons set to LARGE in system options:

Attached File  large1.jpg   159.66KB   5 downloads

my 'workaround' method when set to 250% and 3840x2160, icons set to standard in system options:

Attached File  standard2.jpg   147.46KB   3 downloads

my 'workaround' method when set to 250% and 3840x2160, icons set to LARGE in system options:

Attached File  large2.jpg   150.98KB   2 downloads

#9 Jimmy Odom

Jimmy Odom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

I have the same issue and have experimented with scaling from 200% to 350% and it has little effect.  I have the same unreadable icons.

#10 Jonathan Barto

Jonathan Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

Im running the  GeForce GTX 1050 and am having the same issues.   But I cant get Icons to work like softplan suggested..  Any other suggestions??

Its aweful because I use those Icons all the time.

Thanks

#11 Ben Ginther

Ben Ginther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

I have changed my display settings as suggested and everything looks great! However, now when I right click the menu box comes up but is inaccessible. The cursor moves under it as if it is not there. It seems to be on a separate layer. When I slide the drawing to another monitor all works well. Any suggestions?

#12 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

I have changed my display settings as suggested and everything looks great! However, now when I right click the menu box comes up but is inaccessible. The cursor moves under it as if it is not there. It seems to be on a separate layer. When I slide the drawing to another monitor all works well. Any suggestions?

This is a gltich. I have to right click (sometimes more than once) and hover the mouse around in a circular motion for it to find the "right click box".

Fortunately, for me, I do not use the right click very often.

#13 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

Im running the  GeForce GTX 1050 and am having the same issues.   But I cant get Icons to work like softplan suggested..  Any other suggestions??

Its aweful because I use those Icons all the time.

Thanks

System options. Right hand side. Then be sure the 'Use Ribbon Menu' and 'Use large Toolbar'  boxes are checked.

IF you don't want the ribbon to display at all times, right click at the top of the ribbon menu and check 'minimize ribbon'. This way the ribbon only appears once you click on a menu header tab.

Then do the steps found in post #2.

This should correct your issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users