#1 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

When you edit an exterior wall or a wall with a surface, you can select the alignment for Outside Wall, Outside Bearing, Center or Inside but in the case of an interior, you don't have any choice beside what's set up in the system. I often need to change a DW/2x4/DW to DW/2x6/DW (or vice versa) but presently I can't select if the modification should lineup on one side or center. Is there a way?

Also can't understand why when editing the wall, the extension lines either disappear or don't lineup to the proper spots?

#2 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

I'm experiencing the same frustration. The interior walls will probably have to be a product suggestion. The dimensions are another story. I seem to remember not having that problem with previous versions. I think a ticket to tech is in order for the dimension problem

Mike Downing

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

I normally cheat and do an intermediate change ... If you change the interior wall to an exterior wall you get to line it up ... and then change to a different interior wall, you get to line it up again.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Just ran a quick test ...

It seems that the condition that triggers the alignment, is whether the wall is symmetrical or not ... an interior wall with drywall A on one side and drywall B on the other still triggers the alignment dialogue, This is obviously useless if you use Softlist, but does imply that it's no real programming feat to allow ALL walls to be lined up one way or another.

It seems that it's just a time saving thing, but it doesn't save time when you change a 4" wall for a 6" one, as you nearly ALWAYS have to edit it as invariably one face ends up lined up.

In my opinion ALL wall changes should ask how to line them up.

• Mike Downing and Yvon Gonthier like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Keith is correct that we trigger the alignment question based on the materials in the wall.

We have always aligned two symmetrical walls to their centers. The typical case being a bearing wall beneath a bearing wall should be centered.

Since we trigger the alignment based on materials in the walls, if there is no differentiating element in a symmetrical wall to base the question from, how do we ask the question?

That said, to customize and add the ability to your walls, you could add a'None' material to your walls that is not visible and does not count in SoftList. You will also need to change the color of one side of your stud material so that you know inside from outside and each time you draw one of these walls it will require a third click to assign the outside. 

• Joseph Stoddard likes this

#6 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

One of my most used keyboard shortcuts I have set up is Ctrl 'A'.  Align To Edge

#7 Joseph Stoddard

Joseph Stoddard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

The "None" material that  Brent suggests is a life-saver in a lot of situations.  It's one of those you want to put on a post-it in your cubicle so you remember it's available. 

JLS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users