Proofing a Print

Proofing

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Care to share your ways?  I'm always looking to improve my product and workflow.  With this in mind, I still miss the occasional dimension, note, or some detail on a print.  I typically proof my own drawings due to working alone on them.  My question is this: What processes do you use to catch mistakes and omissions?  I want to create a guidline for myself, but I figure it would be smarter see what others' success has rendered.

Thank you,

Derrik

#2 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

I print and redline my drawings, use a fat sharpie so it stands out.

#3 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

Tough inquiry.  I too will miss an item every once in a while.  Problem is that we look at with the eyes that created it so our mind either overlooks it or not trained to see it.  However I have found that printing it out somehow will force me to look at it differently then if it was on my screen

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#4 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

Printing for sure because very difficult on screen to get everything.

When possible, having a look at the copies the following day if possible, or at least a couple of hours later. It's surprising how thing will jump at you sometime when your mind had a reset.

#5 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

i let the building dept and planners catch the mistakes

and let's call them revisions.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Tough inquiry.  I too will miss an item every once in a while.  Problem is that we look at with the eyes that created it so our mind either overlooks it or not trained to see it.  However I have found that printing it out somehow will force me to look at it differently then if it was on my screen

HAHA ...

I'm exactly the same ... I can look at it for hours on the monitor, and as soon as I send it to print, can spot an error whilst it's still printing ... not sure why!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

I do a combination of suggestions above.....I always print a 1/4'' copy and move on to something else for a while. When I come back to it the missed or wrong items seem much easier to find.  I don't know why but I really can't check anything on the screens(I use two 40'' monitors)...only when it's printed can I find any issues.....

#8 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

I can commiserate with all of the above.  I delay the release for at least 5 days.  I print a 11x17 copy (keep cost down) review it with my trusty magnifying glass and markup.  I then move on to other projects and first thing every morning, when mind is hopefully clear and eyes sharp...do it again.  My life as a builder was about production and I have had to re-train my self to slow down a little.  Not easy.

#9 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

Thanks everyone for responding.   Good ideas!  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users