#1 Michael Trostrud

Michael Trostrud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

Hello folks,

I've thought of using the power of the multi-drawing functionality and then drag that multi drawing into a plan sheet for printing and plan set management ease. 

However, when I drag the multi drawing into the plan set sheet, only the multi-drawing shows up, none of it's plans and views that are imported.

Is anyone else able to accomplish this? 

Thanks.

#2 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

That seems to be redundant.  Plan sets is really just a new improved way of multi drawings.  It may not work on past drawings but on a new project you should just dive into plan sets and use it similarly to the way you would use multi drawings

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

No, I don't believe it can be accomplished. You can't use multi-drawings inside plan sets.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

whatever time and layout you took to assemble a multi drawing should just be done in the plan set as it is basically the same thing, but with added functionality and ease of use when it comes to title blocks, page numbers, and auto inserted information (such as job name, page name, etc.)

plan sets should speed up your page / plan assembly and you shouldn't have to use both multi and plan sets.

#5 Michael Trostrud

Michael Trostrud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Thanks Kieth.

Thomas and Tom, you describe exactly what I mean by power of multi-drawings. But, in my experience, plan sets have their own strengths that differ from multi-drawings.

Here is my question/idea to take a design model to production drawings.

Step one: Create a Typical layout sheet (TLS) using Multi-drawings: Multi drawings can be used to bring in a window of your model (just like plan sets). So what I do is create a typical plan sheet with common notes and schedules as per that particular sheet (ie, floor plan, etc...). Then once I pull those views of my model into the typical layout sheet. I can easily update my schedules (from drawings in model) and use pointers on the TLS to point out where various common key notes apply. (Mind you I'm in So. Cal. the request for notes on the page is horrendous!) Now we have an easily updatable and easily editable TLS that my computer can handle (i7 processer with a separate graphics processor). 

Step two: pull that sheet into Plan sheets for the strength of the desktop publishing, preview that looks like it will when it prints (pen setup) and the tracking of changes requested that plan sheets provides. etc....

Thus my question. I don't see them as the same thing, as I'm not trying to use one like the other completely. Plan Sets can do the window and they do have editing capabilities, but pale in comparison to the power of the drawing abilities in SoftPlan's main platform.

Thanks for hearing my question, it's great to have others to lean on.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

Can you add a View file into a multi Drawing? I didn't think that was possible!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 Michael Trostrud

Michael Trostrud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

When I used the term "view file" that may have unintendedly communicated something more. I ment when you create a multi-file and you import a partial drawing on that sheet.

#8 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Kieth.

Thomas and Tom, you describe exactly what I mean by power of multi-drawings. But, in my experience, plan sets have their own strengths that differ from multi-drawings.

Here is my question/idea to take a design model to production drawings.

Step one: Create a Typical layout sheet (TLS) using Multi-drawings: Multi drawings can be used to bring in a window of your model (just like plan sets). So what I do is create a typical plan sheet with common notes and schedules as per that particular sheet (ie, floor plan, etc...). Then once I pull those views of my model into the typical layout sheet. I can easily update my schedules (from drawings in model) and use pointers on the TLS to point out where various common key notes apply. (Mind you I'm in So. Cal. the request for notes on the page is horrendous!) Now we have an easily updatable and easily editable TLS that my computer can handle (i7 processer with a separate graphics processor). 

Step two: pull that sheet into Plan sheets for the strength of the desktop publishing, preview that looks like it will when it prints (pen setup) and the tracking of changes requested that plan sheets provides. etc....

Thus my question. I don't see them as the same thing, as I'm not trying to use one like the other completely. Plan Sets can do the window and they do have editing capabilities, but pale in comparison to the power of the drawing abilities in SoftPlan's main platform.

Thanks for hearing my question, it's great to have others to lean on.

Michael,

I wasn't really saying that they are the exact same thing or provide the exact same functionality, but with the addition of plan sets, I have not had the need to revert back to multi drawing very much.

I am pretty sure plan sets can accomplish the same thing you are trying to do, but with much less time. You can create a TLS and bring it into any pages of the plan set as many times as you want. (example, bring in your TLS and crop note one, bring in TLS again and crop to show note two, etc.) 

You can also set up TEMPLATES for plan sets that contain all of the pages with inserted cropped notes from your TLS. When you start any new project using that TEMPLATE, all your pre- laid out pages and information should be imported perfectly because it is all contained within the TEMPLATE.

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Since migrating to plan sets, I've never yet had to go back to multi-drawings. The ability to crop/scale a drawing to fit the plan set is worth the switch all on it's own.

I also like the ability to add live views.

I would however, like the ability to do a polygon crop ... another time perhaps.

• Thomas Davis likes this
Keith

#10 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationTampa Florida

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

I do not think it is possible to have the best of both at the same time. Once you are in a plan set, multidrawings are not available.

I struggled at first to use Plan sets instead of Multidrawings, one if them being that I can edit in place, but Plan sets really did a lot to tweak a lot of things. It's certainly much easier to set up drawings and cleaner to maintain. It is the same method that Revit uses to add views. And then moving views within the drawing is far easier as well. You just move it into place. Anyway, if you invest the time to setup up a titleblock with your @ field attributes, and even incorporate discipline prefixes, you will never want to go back to multidrawings.

"When all else fails, do the opposite."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users