#1 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

I have a new Alienware R4 17 laptop.  I do notice some lag while searching symbols and openings while other programs running at the same time.  Currently have 16gb ram, would it be noticeable to go to 32 gb?

I do love it, tested others in the past but this is by far the most responsive, also runs two added large monitors nicely.

Ram suggestions appreciated.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#2 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

If you can upgrade it easily RAM is usually pretty cheap.  Not sure if it would fix your lag but it couldn't hurt

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#3 Paul James

Paul James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

I have a new ASUS laptop w/ 64gb ram and was having some slow down and lag in Softplan. There was no was no way that the specs were slowing it down (especially since my 7 yr old desktop ran without lag.)

I finally found that opening the task manager and ending several non-necessary program and processes snapped everything back to instant in Softplan

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

I wouldn't think that adding more RAM would make too much difference. Download a free Monitor  - try MSI Afterburner (although to be fair, I don't know how it monitors RAM), and track how much RAM is used. If you're nearly always using it all, then consider upgrading.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

You can upgrade the Ram based on the specifications of your machine. It will list what the maximum amount of Ram is allowed.

With that being said, I have 2 Laptops I use every day. Day in and day out. Both are Dell XPSs. One has 16gb Ram and the other 32gb Ram.

There is a difference in the speed, albeit not enough to justify purchasing an entirely new machine just for the speed. The speed increase is minimal at best.

Check Crucial.com for capatable Ram upgrades for your machine.

#6 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

Thanks to you all, i'll wait on ram at the moment and monitor things in task manager.  Overall very pleased with Alienware R4

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#7 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:34 AM

Joe, if this is a new install on the laptop, SoftPlan may not have generated all the thumbnails used in the symbol preview yet and this might be the cause for some of the lag you are seeing. I wouldn't spend money on more RAM just yet. (unless it's the truck!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users