12 replies to this topic

#1 Grant Myers

Grant Myers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

Don't know if others have seen this but I just watched the video 'Why Softplan?' & when the topic of 3d capability comes up

they note that flythroughs are available! That's news to me (maybe everyone else knows about this.).

No explanation is given but if you watch the video it comes in at about 1:40 min.

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

I've never tried it but it seems to be thru Softplan review 3D if you want others to use it. Directly in Softplan 2014, you can move around with the center wheel of your mouse. Things that I hope they modified with Softplan 2016 is the size of the viewing window which is to small when going thru the house specially smaller rooms. Movement is also ackward.

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

When doing fly-throughs on the interior of a house you probably want to expand the Field of View of the Camera. 

#4 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

I emailed support looking to see if I could get some clarification on this and things don't appear to be what (I think) many of us hoped for. By "flythroughs" it seems they mean the ability to navigate through a homes interior using the 3D navigation tools.

The reply I got from SoftPlan Technical Support.

//

Harry,

Please use the following link to our FAQ section about this.

http://softplan.com/?page_id=1004

at the top is the section about using the 3D navigation tools and then closer to the bottom of the page is a section titled "How can I do a real-time walkthrough?".

Regards,

Tech 49
SoftPlan Technical Support

//

The ability to create pre-specified camera paths that could either be followed via Review or output to video is really what I'm looking for in "flythroughs". Surprised that SoftPlan hasn't had this yet and disappointed that it may not be slated for 2016..

• Yvon Gonthier likes this

ahp-horizontal-houseplans-180.png?15058

#5 David Edlin

David Edlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

I would second that! I've been waiting for this feature since version 14. At the moment I have to record and stich files together positioning the camera and moving the roller button on the mouse to go through various rooms, unless I need a static position "fly around".

Please, please, please, can we have a camera path, tilt, focal / wide angle ability to adjust the camera in version 2016, with output to video?

Softplan's ability has been close to this for some time, please take the step and have a proper "fly through".

David Edlin

#6 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:10 AM

Now that SoftPlan 2016 will be able to export to SketchUp, will we be able to produce the flythrough within SketchUp? I don't know enough about SketchUp to answer this. Any SketchUp guru's out there know if you can do defined path fly-thrus?

Phil

#7 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

As nice as it is to work between various formats (AutoCAD or SketchUp) SoftPlan shines best when you can do what you need to within the program itself.

To answer your q Phil, you should be able to do do flythroughs with SketchUp. It isn't an ideal process for me (as a model is hardly ever finished finished) but it may be worth trying as we do have requests to do this.

#8 Chris Stewart

Chris Stewart

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

I am not a SketchUp guru but yes it does fly-throughs.

Other nice things it does are 3d sections, offset section cuts, fog in rendering that helps illustrate depth and plug-ins for advanced rendering software

All comments are my opinion only and may or may not be correct
-Chris

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Yes, please see http://softplan.com/?page_id=2640

• Mike Feinstein likes this

#10 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationTampa Florida

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Ha, they had everybody going on this one... Good job Softplan!

"When all else fails, do the opposite."

#11 Chris Stewart

Chris Stewart

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

Will the new shadows on elevations be Ray Traced -in my experience graphics cards do not do an adequate job. 

It would sure be nice to be able to use lines and silhouettes in ray trace mode to get high quality output.

I noticed that some of the high end rendering software is starting to use Nvidia Cuda cores to greatly speed up ray tracing -is there any plans to implement this technology in Softplan? 

All comments are my opinion only and may or may not be correct
-Chris

#12 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

Yes they had us going for sure, this feels like the best upgrade yet and it isn't here yet, proud to have softplan.

#13 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

Tried it out at the booth at IBS. Looks like a pretty powerful and intuitive feature!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users