• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

So, a standard double-hung window has two moveable glass sections. I need a vertical slider window that has four moveable sections. I'm trying to re-create a style of window made by Sunroom Solutions (http://www.sunroomso...rtical-sliders/). Has anyone created an opening like this? I've looked through the Openings>Manufacturer library but couldn't find anything similar.

Attached Thumbnails

• Four section slider.JPG

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

There are various options:

Simply make one section, as you want and stack it 4 high and EDIT > UNIT OPENINGS and Give it a PRODUCT CODE.

Or 

Again add a single section window to the drawing. FILE > DRAWING OPTIONS > DRAWING LIBRARY > OPENINGS - Pick the window EDIT SYMBOL and add COMPONETS to stack  - adjust as necessary.

Or

Combining the 2 methods, you can make one window, add transom, add transom, add transom give it a PRODUCT CODE and then edit the sizes as you want as per the second method.

Or 

Create a COMPLETE CUSTOM window to suit.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

not perfect

for speed, i'd create a custom opening using an existing "elevation opening"

that is close and than "explode item"  (use RIGHT CLICK)

than go into / file / system or drawing options /  system or drawing library

change the library type to "elevation openings"   and

do a "one step"  with the elevation opening you created and give it a name

(NOTE: a little more to it than what i just said but i'll get you close.)

the switch over to "OPENINGS" and add the elevation opening to the

correct opening library.

note: i couldn't figure out how to create OPERABLE windows as you wanted

but don't think thats necessary.  you can add the direction arrows after you

create the elevations.

i'm sure i'm leaving some things out so don't be afraid to ask questions.

LEFT click to enlarge image

8 section window.JPG

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#4 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. Like Randy, I was trying to create an operable opening, but didn't have any luck. Unless maybe I could stack two double-hung openings on top of each other. I'll have to try that yet.

But for most purposes, I don't actually need it operable, so I used Keith's suggestion of placing a window (used a transom in my case) on the drawing, then going into FILE > DRAWING OPTIONS > DRAWING LIBRARY > OPENINGS, and adding the necessary COMPONENTS til I got the opening I wanted.

Attached Thumbnails

• Exterior Render 5.jpg

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

... Unless maybe I could stack two double-hung openings on top of each other. I'll have to try that yet ...

No reason why not!

I seem to remember somewhere, and I can't find it to verify, but somewhere there's what looks like a fixed window that you can divide vertically and horizontally, the same as you can make a casement 2 section. So I'm sure that you used to be able to place an opening, and divide it into 2 vertically and 2 horizontally. I can't think of any reason why it's been deleted, but I've not idea where it is now.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

This is what I used to represent "weatherwall" windows which are very similar.

2017.08.02_17h26m10s_001.png

As long as the windows are UNIQUE (i.e NOT used anywhere else on the model - if necessary create a unique casement called sunroom solutions) you can edit frame texture, glazing texture and glazing bar textures independently, to create an window that doesn't look like a standard window.

Keith

#7 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

This is an interesting discussion, but I'm not clear on whether you're talking about how to draw a window or if you're discussing an actual window that a builder can install. Don't most window manufacturer's provide CAD drawings for their products?  When I'm specifying windows, even if I can't find a CAD version and I have to do a customized opening (drawing) I'd want to be sure that there's a manufacturer that can provide it.

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:09 AM

We're talking about a specific window from a specific manufacturer. They do NOT ( as far as I'm aware) provide CAD details of their windows. There are MANY manufacturers who do not provide SOFTPLAN files for there windows. Less who don't provide AutoCad details, but still I believe the majority don't provide CAD details at all.

Keith

#9 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

Could you not create a custom window Keith similar to the tutorial that you did a while back?  Create it once and be able to use it again.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

Absolutely. You can create anything as a custom. Take that 90° patio door that I did for you. If you can make that, you can make anything.
  • Tom Rogers likes this
Keith

#11 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

So I tried the idea of creating a custom window using two double-hung openings stacked one above the other. With a bit of tweaking, I got it to look ok. I had to overlap the two sections 1-1/2"; otherwise, the frame between them looked too thick. One thing I don't like, though, is that the two centre sections are both set out from the top and bottom sections. In reality, the window I'm trying to resemble has each section set out a little further than the one below it. This way, the three top or bottom sections can all slide past until they're stacked against the very top or bottom section.

Attached Thumbnails

• Exterior Render 7.jpg

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

You might want to edit the grilles to 1 and 0 instead of 1 and 1.

Keith

#13 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the tip, Keith. I noticed that this is how the Weatherwall sample you posted appears. If you check out the Sunroom Solutions product (see attached photo), they show a vertical bar as well as a horizontal one. That's the reason I show it like that.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sunroom-Solutions.jpg

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Agreed, except the sunroom solutions one shows 4 vertical panels and 2 horizontal panels ... your version shows 8 vertical panels. I meant that you might want to delete the horizontal grille bar in each of the 4 vertical sections ...

Keith

#15 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

Thanks for the tip, Keith. I noticed that this is how the Weatherwall sample you posted appears. If you check out the Sunroom Solutions product (see attached photo), they show a vertical bar as well as a horizontal one. That's the reason I show it like that.

these windows look great we have a window call Ezebreeze for that sunroom room and they are great windows in my area

#16 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Ahh, yes, I see what you mean now, Keith. Yes, changing that would make them look more realistic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users