• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Bell

Marc Bell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:35 AM

I just got a new computer with a 256GB solid state drive and a 1TB hard drive.

I'm not sure how to configure the drive storage.

Should I install Soft Plan on the solid state drive and put the projects folder

over on the hard drive, or all on one or the other?

Thanks!

#2 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

Most people will put the operating system and all of their programs on the solid state drive.

They use the hard drive for data storage.

That is my setup and I have been very happy with it.

My computer boots very quickly and all my programs are quickly opened.

I have not noticed any significant lag time accessing data files.

On the other hand 256 Gb is a good amount of storage.

An alternate setup for a primarily Softplan oriented computer would be to put the program and current data files on the SSD.

At some point you can choose to archive older completed projects into a data folder on the hard drive.

This expedites backups to remote hard drives as you can easily choose between current projects and archived projects.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

I have ONLY programs and the OPERATING SYSTEM on the SSD and all my DATA on the HARD DRIVE.

With programs on the SSD they open much quicker. In reality, data files are quite small compared to the programs, and they don't really need the extra access speed that the SSD provides.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Mark Tidwell

Mark Tidwell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationClay, AL

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

Put your data on the hard drive.  The main reason for this is that SSD's drives, due to the way they work, wear out quicker with continuous data changing.  Programs are not changed as much.  A single location on an SSD can only be written to reliably a certain number of times.  Most main stream drivers, the number is around 20-30.  The ability of the memory to change and retain the data in a static state diminishes over the repeated use.  SSD's contain backup space that it puts into use as areas become unusable and all of them will give you a warning when a threshold of usable space becomes too limited. For an average user this can be many years.  For a heavy data user, this can be just a couple or so years.

Designing the American Dream since 1994.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users