#1 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

Let's put a few likes up. 

I like how you can now turn the overlay off on a second floor plan and now the multi-floor roof does not turn off.  They are now independent.  It used to be when you turned the second floor overlay off the roof would come undone and make a big mess.

#2 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

Now the first floor square footage no longer doubles when you save the first floor as the second floor and stacked them in the model.  Previously the first floor square footage would double even though you had erased the first floor square footage from the second floor. 

#3 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

I like how the deck now references the house framing and no longer references the siding (whether displayed or not).  This helps me with dimensions not constantly wanting to reference the deck which was in my case 1.25" away from the house framing.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

I like how you can now turn the overlay off on a second floor plan and now the multi-floor roof does not turn off.  They are now independent.  It used to be when you turned the second floor overlay off the roof would come undone and make a big mess.

Funny, I was under this impression for quite a while .... However, If you click on "Multiple Floor Roof" in Roof Mode, You don't need the overlay.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

Funny, I was under this impression for quite a while .... However, If you click on "Multiple Floor Roof" in Roof Mode, You don't need the overlay.

i use the overlay feature while drawing the second floor to help line up things like stairway walls etc... or for checking walls stacking when the plans are finished.  My point is it used to be when you turned that overlay (in drawing mode) off it would also turn off the "multiple floor roof" in roof mode and therefore the roofs would come undone.  That has been fixed now in 2016 which is great.

#6 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

I don't think the overlay / multi floor roof feature was even noted in the 2016 enhancement. What a nice bonus!

Phil

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

It doesn't do that for me in 2014. The overlay and the multiple floor roof work independently without any hiccups.

That's probably why it doesn't list as an enhancement ...

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#8 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

In V2014 roof lollipops loose connection with referenced multi level walls while overlaying and removing overlays while working in drawing mode.  Brad is correct, this has been cleaned up in V2016.

Speaking of roofs, one of the most important features not talked about much is the ability to change colors on roof planes in roof mode.  Complex multi level roofs colors in the past had a tendency of blending for color blind folks...this was a great step!

Attached Thumbnails

• roof color.jpg

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

Apologies, you are right the overlay does turn off the multiple roof, however, one click turns it back on and cleanup restores the function of the lollipops. Maybe I got so used to doing it, that I wasn't thinking about it. Maybe I haven't used overlay after the roof was on ... We'll never know ... Maybe I was just wrong as usual.

Nice to know it works as it should now!

Keith

#10 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

I've had to jump back to v2014 for a project... and the things I noticed that I was already trained to use, and missing included:

- the way a dimension will run out to find objects on it's own..

- the center item between objects / walls tool

- double click middle button zoom extents

- rendering enhancements / settings (better anti-alias, etc)

other 2016 things that I've enjoyed:

- arch top a window (although this new tool has a ways to go, it's been helpful in a few instances for me).

- love the way the walls sort the current used walls to the top of the list.

- love the revision cloud polygon tool

- distance added to copy dialogue box. (wish they'd add that to move also)

things I'm really looking forward to using in more depth, but have not yet had the opportunity to do so:

- shadows added to elevation drawings

- walkthroughs

- ceiling grid for my Tenant Improvement work

something I'm curious about:

- doing a "hack" with the new dentil profile tool to see if it will create a 3D effect board and batt siding (so the "dentils" are full height batts that are 18" o.c....

• Harry Staab likes this

#11 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

this thread made my day,  nice to hear of all the good stuff.

i guess i've been lucky or haven't tested 2016 enough because i'm

not finding any issues .

i'll just keep on thinking positive.

tom,  i also like the way it automatically sorts the walls that you use on a project to the "TOP" of the wall list.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#12 Michael Landry

Michael Landry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationEaston, Ma.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

I have found the program to be much more stable than version 2014, 3d is crisper the renders are better. It seems as if false dormer has been improved also. I have

only had the new version for a week and already I would not want to go back to version 2014. Thumbs up from me.

Mike

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

2016 Likes ..... Well, actually I'd LIKE to get my hands on a copy ..... By all accounts it started shipping on February 10 and it's now March 26 - 6 weeks and we haven't heard anything ... I could have had a kitchen manufactured in that time!

Yeah, I know, I'm whining again ... Must be getting tired, I'll go to bed now ....

Keith

#14 Gary Hood

Gary Hood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

2016 Likes ..... Well, actually I'd LIKE to get my hands on a copy ..... By all accounts it started shipping on February 10 and it's now March 26 - 6 weeks and we haven't heard anything ... I could have had a kitchen manufactured in that time!

Yeah, I know, I'm whining again ... Must be getting tired, I'll go to bed now ....

Keep on whining! 6 weeks must be torture. Perhaps, at least you will have the advantage of the next patch. And to think they could of just emailed the link.

#15 BRUCE PAGE

BRUCE PAGE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationEAU CLAIRE, WIS.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

When I saw that it had clay model in the 3d views I thought why? I brought it up on a house I am working on and I think it has amazing 3d depth. Not something I would give to the client, but it is nice to work with.

#16 Michael Landry

Michael Landry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationEaston, Ma.

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

Cross sections seem to be cleaner also.

Mike

#17 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Really loving the new walkthrough feature.  I have used it on multiple jobs with tremendous success!  My customers love sending the link to the unlisted Youtube video to all their friends showing what they are going to build.  So much better than messing with SoftPlan Review 3D's, and easier than creating a bunch of images.  The walkthrough function is incredibly easy to use also.  I made one this morning that and it only took a few minutes to create the path of travel.  After a few minutes of rendering it was done.  Super easy!  I am finding that it really speeds up the early design process.  I don't need to create and email a bunch of images, just simply update the movie.

On a side note: I am using "Windows Movie Maker" to insert my logo into the videos.  Super fast and easy.  If you've ever used PowerPoint it's very similar.  Transition animations are simple to add too.

I know problems get all the attention on forums, but all-in-all the upgrade has been excellent.  I've only crashed a couples times in the few weeks of heavy usage.  Well worth it!

#18 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

I love love love the plan set templates. This time saver is huge!

I know I've spent much time (and many +support tickets) noting some bugs, but overall I'm satisfied with how the software continues to improve.

ahp-horizontal-houseplans-180.png?15058

#19 Ben Ginther

Ben Ginther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:38 AM

I appreciate the vastly improved "rotate item"!

#20 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

I appreciate the vastly improved "rotate item"!

What as changed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users