• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy Guest

Tracy Guest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Trying to figure out it's safe to delete old versions of Softplan? Do you always delete the previous version after an upgrade?

I'm currently using 2018 but I still have as far back as 2012 on my computer. Obviously this takes up space on the hard drive, but I don't want to remove them without asking for input first.

There is no reason to keep them right??

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

I delete mine after I have been using the newest version for a couple months.  I had a problem this last time due to how I had set things up with 2018 that required me to uninstall and reinstall on my tablet.  No big deal and no data lost....just an afternoon of no productivity while I fixed things.  Tech support guys were a huge help.

• Tracy Guest likes this

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

I keep mine but I upgrade computers often enough that I rarely have more than two versions (can't even remember when that occurred).  I make a complete backup of the project folder before the new install.  Then a copy over the project folders over to the new version project folder and use them as needed.

#4 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

I keep only the previous one in case mostly for symbols or sometime to open an older plan so that it doesn't affect thing but as the months go by, rarely access it.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

I (like Sam) generally keep mine a couple of months after an upgrade and then delete. I'm actually glad I did, as I'm working with a customer who has a 2016 installation currently, and therefore would not be able to open 2018 drawings.

QUESTION FOR SOFTPLAN - If an earlier version of Softplan has been deleted, is there any way a SOFTPLAN user (or SOFTPLAN+ subscriber) can download or re-download an earlier version of Softplan for compatibility with clients?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Tracy Guest

Tracy Guest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

Thank you for your responses.

I've had the same system (with many upgrades) since the 2012 version, and my projects are backed up elsewhere.

I went ahead and deleted the 2012 and v.14 but when I opened 2018 this morning all of my drawings fonts have been changed to Arial; and the typical one I use, 'sphandcompressed' is gone. It also won't let me change them. Did any of you experience issues like this?

I deleted them using the uninstall option on my computer, and I removed the key before doing so.  -_-

#7 Tracy Guest

Tracy Guest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:00 AM

Phew!!! Never mind.

I re-downloaded the fonts installer from the SP website and I think it fixed my problem.

Now to try and catch up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users