#1 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Hello all,

Does anyone have a good formula for Corner Beach?  I've tired the forumla provided by SoftPlan as well as trying to make my own and nothing seems to be working. I drew a simple structure that should only have Corner Bead on 3 of the corners. My formulas all come up with crazy numbers. I've attached a number of screen shots

I am also not 100% clear on what Inside Corner and Outside Corner are referencing due to the results of my formulas. Maybe that is where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Morgan

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.png
  • softplan corner bead formula.png
  • 1.png
  • 2.png
  • 3.png

#2 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

This is the results from SoftList...with errors and incorrect results

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.png

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

Assuming what you have drawn is an INTERIOR WALL, visually I'd expect there to be 160 linear ft of drywall corner beads (20 corners @ 8') with no wastage.

Your takeoff shows 49 ft + 113.31 ft + 14.16 ft ... so 176 ft which equates to 10% wastage.

I don't use softlist, but I don't see these quantities being "crazy".

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

I actually counted 80 feet for interior 8' walls (three outside corners on the inside and seven outside corners on the outside).  Here are the formulas I use There are five material definitions and one accumulator.

The results are deadly accurate every time.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• CORNER BEAD 1.png
  • CORNER BEAD 2.png
  • CORNER BEAD 3.png
  • CORNER BEAD 4.png
  • CORNER BEAD 5.png
  • CORNER BEAD 6.png

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#5 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Just to clarify Softplan looks at each individual wall panel to calculate the material before moving on to the next panel. It seems that if finds an interior wall outside corner joint it counts both wall faces for some strange reason even though the is only one wall face involved in the corner. It does the same thing for the other wall panel that makes up the corner. The variable returns with four times the height of the wall which is why the interior wall corner bead definition is divided by 4 and the exterior wall is divided by 2 to give you the correct lineal foot count of corner bead.

Cheers!

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

I was assuming that that particular wall was defined as an interior wall. Because of the way it seems to be drawn, I'd assumed that it was drywalled both sides. So 10 interior corners and 10 exterior corners.
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Looking at it again, the menu says 2x4/siding, so there should be 3 exterior corners and 7 interior corners. So 10 at 8 ft ... 80 linear feet. Not sure why the original takeoff shows so much. Again assuming using interior corner beads, and not just simple butt joints.
Keith

#8 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

It drew exterior walls (just to quickly get data on the drawing). And maybe we are referring to different things when talking about Corner Bead. I am talking about a metal strip that is nailed to protruding corners to give the corners a clean edge for drywall mud to adhere to. 

Here is a link to the product http://www.homedepot...10530/100356032

Therefore, SoftList should only be reporting 3 sticks of corner bead in my drawing. I have 3 corners that protrude into the room. 

I am confused about what Outside and Inside corners are referring when drawing exterior walls as well as interior walls. When I added interior walls in the drawing, the SoftList reported extra corner bead that didn't need to be reported. Not sure where I am going wrong.

Thanks for the help! 

#9 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

I tried this same layout with an unadulterated SoftList in V2018.

It gave me a lineal footage for the three outside interior wall corners.

The quantity was correct at 27 lin ft.  3 corners at 9 ft wall height.

I am not sure why you are getting so many different answers with your diffrerent formulas.

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

I concur, I would only actually expect 3 drywall corner beads. All the interior corners should just be simple taped joints.

Keith

#11 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

Can you send a screen shot of the formula you are talking about? How does your formula work for interior walls? or do you use a different formula for interior walls?

#12 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

Here is the screen shot.

Note that the Bottom material definition is "Corner Bead" and it shows the "list" format.

Above it are 5 material definitions that identify different areas that use corner bead and they then "accumulate" in the "list" definition on the last line.

This last definition is the only one that uses a Cost Code so it is the only one that appears in SoftList.

The open material definiton box is for  "Corner Bead (Int Walls)" and it returns a value of 27 lin ft which is correct.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• Interior Corner Bead Formula.jpg

#13 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

To me, I don't inderstand having to divide by 4. By 2 maybe if it's considers 2 walls coming to a corner but like Keith says, the other corner is an inside corner not outside?

#14 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

I think Martin answered that above.

It sounds like he got the info from tech support.

I think that "outside corners" is a variable used for other purposes also - probably "tape".

It might not make sense just for this material definition but it does in the big picture?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users