#1 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

Was going to post this to AIBD facebook but apparently it is not used as a forum

Curious. In school we were taught to letter in capital lettering. I have done so continuously for the past 25 years whether it is by hand or on the computer. However I see more and more that regular lettering (capital and lower case) is being used. Is there a reason for this or personally preference? Easier when switching from drawings to email or to fit better on page or so it does look like are drawings are "YELLING" 1f642.png:-)What is everyone's thoughts?

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#2 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

I always use capital letters.

I completely agree about the hassle of switching between emails and drawings,

It is a real pain to erase a line of all caps and retyping an email !!

In fact I just did this here.

I might try a drawing with upper / lower case and see what it looks like.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

From Day One of my Architectural Apprenticeship in Britain (in the early 70's), we always used regular Sentence Case (capitals and lower case to suit), personally I dislike the looks of all capitals, and the only time I use it  is when using really small text to fit in cramped spaces.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

For plans when it was done by hand, I have always use individual capital lettering. If I write something, I can't even use continuous cursive lettering anymore. But, for typing letters, e-mails. etc..., no I don't use all capitals letters unless I want to emphasize something. Like oyu say, it's considered yelling.

#5 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Steve-I agree with you completely.  I have been thinking of changing myself.  Softplan tends to confuse me a bit too.  While their speed notes are all in capital letters, the names of their electrical symbols are not; so when I try to generate an electrical legend I end up either having to live with a mis match of text (since my custom ones are all capital) or, which is what I normally have to do, is go and edit the legend.  I have now even started going through the long process of renaming the symbols to get it all in order.

That is interesting Keith about Britain.  Was that a standard format that is used throughout or just in your office that you were with? 

#6 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

Tom, you certainly got me thinking.

This is definitely a subject that has gotten some people thinking in the Cad world.

I googled it and found that all caps is definitely a hold over from the manual drafting days.

Surprisingly there have been many studies done that show that mixed case is easier to read.

Maybe the all caps needs to go the way of the drawing board !

I could see using all caps for room names.

These I always pull from speed notes anyway so no typing required.

Other notes (especially longer descriptive notes) could be done in mixed case.

The only objection I found relates to scale.

If the correct font size is not used then the mixed case can be very hard to read (i.e. too small) when printed at half scale.

I will definitely try one drawing just to see how I feel about it.

• John Jones likes this

#7 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

Everything in capitals on my drawings, all the time. It's the way I was taught in high school and was re-iterated to me in college. I tried using a mix, and I didn't like it, it's definitely not for me.

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

That is interesting Keith about Britain.  Was that a standard format that is used throughout or just in your office that you were with? 

I believe it was typically down to the individual designer. Since we were writing most things by hand, a lot depended on the quality of your writing. Most used Sentence case, but some whose writing may have been less legible used all caps.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#9 Paul Tacy

Paul Tacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

On the board since 1968, and now on SoftPlan, ALWAYS all caps.  It was the way I was taught, and I can't imagine changing now.  It just wouldn't look right.  I lost the ability to write in cursive decades ago, always lettering in all caps.

• Tom Rogers likes this

#10 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Only cursive I know is my signature  :)

#11 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

ALL CAPS since my first day at architectural university and on the board.

on computer use mostly CAPS with a little mixture of lower case for affect

in certain situation or just because i feel like it.

• Tom Rogers likes this

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#12 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

Interesting discussion.  I have been drawing plans since early 90's and have an engineering degree (not structural).  I am not trained in architecture and I use mixed.  I always have always used mixed because I like the look.  I Cap certain things like the room names and usually the first letter of each word.  If I need a notation to stand out I will Cap it.  And by the way, I still write in cursive.

#13 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

I type everything for design (except an occasional note or for effect) and write in all caps. That's the way I was used to it in school and it looks better to me. I strongly dislike cursive and even struggle to write in lower case. Of course, I do not want everyone to think I am yelling at them, so emails, and normal messages and typing is the normal mix of upper and lower case.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users