#1 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:00 AM

Happy Friday!

I am trying to locate a window in a stairwell which is half way between first floor and second floor. I drew both floors and their floor systems, then drew a window opening. When the window is located on the first floor, it cuts the exterior wall correctly. But when I change the offset to move the window up, the window opening no longer exterior the exterior properly. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?  

Thanks!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.png   424.81KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  1.png   455.06KB   0 downloads

#2 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

you need to make the stair wall either balloon frame or use a tall wall situation.  You have to draw like it will be built

• John Jones and Allen McDonnell like this

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Or use the same size (but a different) window in the upper walls set to the same height and uncheck "display" for all the materials for that window. It will cut the opening, but not show materials that have been unchecked. Nice thing about that is that you see the window in plan on both levels which is more like reality in plans as well. The balloon framing is another option. You can copy and paste in place the same wall and window in both plans, and you can uncheck  extract in 3D for the wall and window in one plan.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

Best solution is as mentioned by Tom. If you want to cheat it, you may be able to add an arch opening on the 2nd floor. You wil need to size it and position it has required. Don't think it should you window but you would have to test it out.

#5 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions...I am trying to work through those and see what works best.

This might be a really stupid questions. I know what Balloon framing is in real life, but how do you do that in SoftPlan? 

Thanks y'all!

#6 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

As for Softplan it is really just a tall window that has the wall height greater than your system standards.  Depending on how you set them up it could include firebreaks and such (however this is only really necessary if using Softlist).  Keep in mind any tall wall above 10' needs to be 2x6 (always causing potential size problems with stairs) 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#7 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

great, thanks!

#8 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

can also use a "CROSS" opening, in conjunction, with a regular window

when dealing with a window that is in a lower wall in one floor plan

and same window that shows in upper wall in another floor plan / one wall above the other wall.

the cross opening just cuts the opening in the one wall (usually upper) for

the window that is in the lower wall to fit into.

see morgans illustration in #1 (right side)

that's where you could put a CROSS Opening (on the top floor plan to cut out the wall

for the upper part of the window to fit into)

this cross opening insertion is used for garage doors so they can sits down into part of a foundation

you'll probably add notes and/or separate details when/if needed.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#9 Jonathan Barto

Jonathan Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

Softplan just needs to allow openings to be able to cut in to lower walls .  

Alot of houses we do have 2 story greatrooms with maybe 3 rows of window on them..  huge pain to have to draw all 3 windows on the first floor walls....

It would be nice to say set first floor wall to 18' and then have a 2nd floor wall be a "none wall" with just the windows.  (have those windows cut into first floor balloon frame walls)

I need the walls to report balloon frame due to needing accurate softlist and need those longer studs to report.  so breaking up the walls will not work correctly for softlist...

Unless anyone has a better solution for this..

Thanks

#10 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:04 PM

Happy Friday!

I am trying to locate a window in a stairwell which is half way between first floor and second floor. I drew both floors and their floor systems, then drew a window opening. When the window is located on the first floor, it cuts the exterior wall correctly. But when I change the offset to move the window up, the window opening no longer exterior the exterior properly. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?  

Thanks!!

Love the two tone....way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users