Doug Stephenson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWinchester, Kentucky

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

Good morning.

I posted in the general questions area and found out that V14 will be unsupported after the 2016 release. What does everyone think my learning curve will be from going from v14 to 2016. Considering 2014 upgrade as well.

Doug

#2 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

I wasn't using v12, but since learning SoftPlan 2012 from scratch, each additional version has been more powerful and more intuitive. I would think it would be well worth the growing pains to get yourself up to date. You will probably discover some new tools and functions that will make life and your workflow much easier.

ahp-horizontal-houseplans-180.png?15058

#3 Gary Hood

Gary Hood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

You already know the basics of SP, so you would be concentrating on just the new features, which would make the learning curve that much shorter.. I don't think it'll be that much, but then, i haven't seen V1016 yet!

#4 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:10 AM

I don't think it would be that big of a learning curve, there are lots of new features that i'm sure you will appreciate.

#5 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationTampa Florida

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

There will be a learning curve if you choose to use the new Ribbon layout. But that is optional. Finding a few things might be in a different menu. But it actually makes more sense. An example is Reverse & Mirror are in the move Ribbon/Menu Pulldown. 

I do recommend giving the default ribbon menu a chance because they save a little time. You will feel like you stepped into a more modern world. 

Otherwise, its like stepping off the plane when suddenly your ear pops, and your hearing gets even better. You have more abilities. Its best to read up on v2012 & v2014 upgrade brochures as well to see what enhancements can make your life easier.

"When all else fails, do the opposite."

#6 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

The learning curve should be minimal for a seasoned SoftPlan user. As Michael states, the biggest thing that would be different is the new menu layout and where items got relocated to. There were not a ton of drawing functions relocated, but where they are now, does seem to make more sense. I am pretty sure the new menu structure is here to stay, so I would definitely recommend using it.

I think everyone that uses SoftPlan regularly should upgrade and stay current with the latest versions of SoftPlan. It just makes sense. If you knew there was a better option available, why wouldn't you upgrade? 

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

Slightly off topic, but my issue with the ribbon is not what it does, but how much of the screen it takes up. Personally I want the maximum amount of drawing space I can get, so have reverted to the old menu bar, this also means I can get to more commands quickly.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users