9 replies to this topic

#1 Brent Greener

Brent Greener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

Wondering how many members save their projects to a network share? Reason I ask is because for the second time I am having the same problem. After creating a project any subsequent closing and reopening of that project looses the Model stack, all Plan Sets and Material Files in 3D don't save. The drawing changes themselves save fine so it is saving the individual drawings, but the .spp file never updates the modified date and I am guessing that is where all that other info is changed.

This started last year when I started saving all drawings to a shared folder on one PC, then is seemed to go away and started working. Now this spring I installed a Windows 2016 server and started saving all files to that and the problem is not going away and getting really frustrating. I don't see how it can be a permission issues as the drawings files save and all of my Symbols, textures, libraries, ect all are on this server and they all work fine in Soft Plan. I have the same problem on 3 PC's running Soft Plan so it is not only on one machine. For what ever reason that .spp file will not update after the original save when it is created.

Also because I am Soft Plan+ it tells me every time I open a project that the version on the server is newer then the local file because of this. Worse yet it does not happen to all projects, and it could work fine on a project for a few days and then be a problem on the next day for the same project, very random it seems.

#2 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

It might have to do with the pathing of the server.  Especially if it is not a static one (for better security the I.P. address can change).  I save all mine to the Softplan cloud and let people download it to their individual hard drive if needed.  As long as you dont want to work on it at same time it works fine.  Never had any problems in the years I have been doing it. 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#3 Brent Greener

Brent Greener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

It might have to do with the pathing of the server.  Especially if it is not a static one (for better security the I.P. address can change).  I save all mine to the Softplan cloud and let people download it to their individual hard drive if needed.  As long as you dont want to work on it at same time it works fine.  Never had any problems in the years I have been doing it. 

I have tried calling the server by IP and Name and the same problem happens. I still don't see how it can be a network problem since all the .spd files save just fine, it seems to be the .spp that is only effected.

#4 Shay Bashaw

Shay Bashaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I believe I may be having a similar problem.  

I am a preferred Mac user, and because SoftPlan refuses to create a version of their product for MacOS, I am forced to run on a PC for SoftPlan and everything else on my Mac.  I use a shard LAN folder to communicate back and forth.  For convenience, I have all files stored on the Mac HD and the PC HD is completely empty aside from the Softplan 2018 install.

There is some sort of disconnect with the shared folder within SoftPlan.  I can open and read all files in the shared folder on my PC Desktop, but when I go to create and save a new project, that shared folder on the desktop is nowhere to be found.

#5 Brent Greener

Brent Greener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

If you just have a short cut on your desk top to the drawing folder then Soft Plan will not see it in the system options setting no. You can go to File and Open and see that folder. Normally you want to actually Map a Network drive in My Computer instead of having a short cut on the desk top.

#6 Shay Bashaw

Shay Bashaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Thank you very much for the tip.  I will have to look in to how to do that.  

Im not much of a tech guy. hah!

#7 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

We operate two work stations.

We have a server where we store all of our project files. Each user has an "account" configured on the server with proper folder permissions applied.

We have mapped all optional softplan file locations for drawings, symbol libraries, 3D symbols, etc. (see graphic) to the server using a mapped drive location.

In other words, the server location is mapped as "O", so our drawing file location is O:\SOFTPLAN FILES\Projects\

Our 3D symbol location is O:\SOFTPLAN FILES\3D\3D Symbols\

etc. etc.

We used to have an issue with the .spp files not showing up any drawings. One user would modify the drawing, the second user would open the project and no drawings would show up in the .spp file.

You could use "open" and open an individual .spd file though. I was constantly having to browse the folder location and delete the .spp file so the project cache would update.

We were on a wireless network.

I upgraded the network to a wired connection to the server and also upgraded one pc to a high end gaming laptop.

ALL our issues ceased to exist.

If you are on a wireless network, you need to go wired for sure. Even on a wire network, sometimes the symbol libraries take a moment to load before I can select one to draw. It has to do with the network transmission from the laptop to the server.

Hope this helps.

Screenshot.png.jpg  

#8 Brent Greener

Brent Greener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

My setup is the same as yours. The network is Cat6 wired so speed is not an issue, and either way SP should still save the file.

Nice to know that I am not the only one who has run into this and it seems the SP has some sort of issue saving over a network. Crazy thing is some days it will work fine and then the next day the same project will not save correctly.

The other thing that seems really strange is I also save my drawings to the SP cloud. When I open a project it will tell me that the online version is newer then my local version. So for the heck of it I let it download the online version last night and it still has the same issue with all kinds of things missing. So it seems that the .spp file is not saving correct to the cloud either.

#9 Brent Greener

Brent Greener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Wanted to post an update on this. I have found that if I repeatedly hit Save All that after the third to forth time it all the sudden will save current .SPP file. You can watch this by looking at the "Date Modified" with the file viewer, the first couple of times you hit save it does not change the time, then all the sudden it does.

I really wish I could get Soft Plan to take this seriously but they are not. Even if it is a network problem why does Soft Plan not give a warning that it can't save the file???

#10 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

I'm kind of hijacking this discussion a little - or maybe I'm just adding to the topic??

Tommy,

If you don't mind sharing, what high end gaming laptop and configuration did you end up with?

Everyone,

What have folks found to be the best solution when two users are sharing SP files remotely? I've shared my Dropbox folder (where I keep all my projects) and use the SP cloud, but the results are not always very good. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users