3 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan Reitz

Morgan Reitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

Hey gang,

Do you know how to make sure drywall is added throughout the stairwell once a hole has been cut? I edited the hole to add drywall but there is a strip missing.

Also, what is the best method for drawing stairs and cutting the ceiling and floor system out? I drew the stairs, then cut a hole in the floor system, then cut a hole in the ceiling. Then edited the hole to add drywall. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

#2 MARK PETRI

MARK PETRI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

I use 3D solids if I want it to look the best. The system cannot account well for the framing and filling the hole created by stairs most of the time. It is typically messy at best. Another option is to use a wall created with drywall only and uncheck cleanup and make sure it is not offset up on top of the floor, but sitting at 0'-0". The only problem with that is the join tolerances and clean up still seem to mess with those types of walls more often than not (even when settings are done the way they ought to be).

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

You have to put in the floor truss set before cutting the hole.  The drywall doesn't get added unless you have put in all of the details in the structural part of the drawings.

#4 MARK PETRI

MARK PETRI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

Even then, it doesn't work realistically. When would you have drywall at the head of the stair in the floor system? Then again, stairs don't frame realistically either. So many quirks it is often best left out of close view in renderings, unless you want to do work-arounds.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users