#1 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a formula to count all my studs. I do not want to split up the jack studs from the other precut studs. Our framers take a precut and cut it down to a jack stud, so I want my take off to reflect that. I am attaching screen shots of the formulas and the softlist report. 

One formula has:

if not (stud type=jack) 

and the other formula I took that line out hoping it would include those jack studs in my overall stud count.

But...both formulas are giving me the same count.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• SOFTLIST.png
  • COUNTING JACK STUD.png
  • NOT COUNTING JACK STUDS.png

#2 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

I agree....Please let me know what you come up with.

It would also be nice if the "wall stud" formula counted those members as regular studs as well.  (The members on top and bottom of a window)

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

#3 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

I am getting close....I've tried lots and lots of different formulas.

What I have that works is two formulas. One for studs and one for jacks that both report my precut lengths. I am attaching a formula that is close that should combine the two, but isn't working just right. yet. Once I export the material list to Excel, I can easily combine the studs and the jacks together using the product code I input, but I would like SoftList to do that for me!

I am not sure how to use accumulate for a custom formula. Once I click on accumulate, my custom formula goes away and I have to input the information in List form. But list form doesn't give me as many options as custom formula does.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.png
  • 2.png
  • 3.png
  • 4.png

#4 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

I have Steve at SP working on some options.  Ill let you know what i (he) comes up with.

#5 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

It is a little baffling and frustrating that this has not already been figured out.  I drew and estimated in a lumber yard for 10 years.  We would send out precuts by the bunk and then some..... and then long lengths for balloon framed walls and garage walls.  All this "jack stud", combined wall stud, wall stud, is not realistic.

Here you go framer.  Only use these wall wall framing....and then jacks get cut out of 8', and then take this other 8' and cut 14 16" sections....blah blah blah.

#6 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Here is the formula that tech shared with me today. It should count studs, jacks, and cripples. Just duplicate this formula for 2x4/6 precut A,B,C but change the dimensions. Hope this helps! Let me know if this works for you, I am still testing it out to make sure it works for how our company builds.

if between (stud_width,3",5") and within(stud_thickness,0.5", 1.5")
   if matches(stud_type, common,backer,king)
      if between(stud_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125") or matches(stud_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125")
         set_dimens(inches,inches,inches)
         list(1,2",4",precut_A)
      else
         if stud_height<precut_A+1.125"
            list(stud_height/precut_A,2",4",precut_A)
         endif
      endif
   endif
   if num_heights=2
      if between(max_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125") or matches(max_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125")       
         if stud_type=jack
            list(1,2",4",precut_A)
         else
            if matches(stud_type,cripple,sill_jack)
            endif
         endif
      endif
   endif
endif

• Tom Rogers and Allen McDonnell like this

#7 Martin Wrobel

Martin Wrobel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Morgan

Has the formula you posted above worked for you. I tried it out and i counts from the shortest precut on the wall i designed to the longest precut defined in Softlist. See attached snip off my Softlist Report. I have the wall designed for the 88" precuts "precut_A". I starts using this one and adds the other two precuts. Looks like using lin. ft. of studs required. I just sent this off to Tech. Support. I did copy the formula to each precut and changes the material width size and change the precut letters to match.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture of Softlist Report.JPG

Martin Wrobel

Superior Home Design

Michigan

Softplan 2024

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)\

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

64GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 850W Power Supply

#8 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Martin,

Yes- this formula works for us. I printed out the floor plan in Framing Mode and physically counted up each stud/jack to ensure the formula was correct. I am not sure the formula is actually counting the cripples so we add a little waste which will help with cripples and any extra studs needed to frame the walls. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

#9 ALAN MICHAUD

ALAN MICHAUD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around the initial stud height. To have the cripples and jacks report to the proper wall height. I often have areas of 10 foot studs and 8 foot studs in the same floor. What triggers the height to assign the cripples, jacks and anything else to any of these heights?

Presently I do this manually. I go down the Softlist Report and summarize jacks and combined studs and even the rough sill material into a common stud height/length. 8' 10' 12' etc.

But the prevalent height isn't always clear. And there's the concern that the builder may not be as precise in evaluating what's been delivered for sizes. Typically if 8 foot walls they just grab 8 foot studs and roll along.

I haven't see many instances where the crew reviewed the lengths delivered and the best way to use each length.

I think I need to understand how to assign a local variable to the determined wall height/stud height in the area being quantified.

Then send or assign jacks and cripples to the proper height.

Not as simple as I first thought. As I consider it I keep thinking what tells any iteration of stud part count to any "wall height"? I can't see the connection. And assumption isn't an option.

I don't use precuts. In fact I want to eliminate all references to pre-cuts from my Definitions. That's just a personal preference but relay it because ...... the precut tests sort of help with that determination of overall stud height .. don't they.?

#10 ALAN MICHAUD

ALAN MICHAUD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hope it didn't get lost from initial thread and I didn't restate it above.

But, I want to combine the multiple listings of studs/stud parts into one line.

#11 Bryan Ireland

Bryan Ireland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:35 AM

You can change the length of the Precut_A, B, C to what ever works for you. Go to SoftList Configurations, click on your report, then go to Variables. 

We only build 9' walls on basement and first floor levels and 8' walls on second floor levels. Our lumber is dropped per floor, so there generally isn't any confusion for what length stud to use. 

Not sure I totally understand your question. The formula above combines studs, cripples, jacks into a single reported item of either 93" stud or a 104" stud (based on how I set up the formula and the precut heights). 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG

#12 ALAN MICHAUD

ALAN MICHAUD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Okay. I'll give it a spin see what flies off ...

Thanks, Morgan.

BTW my comment/question was just an attempt to re-state the initial thread intent. I too am looking to combine items reporting uniquely under the title of "Stud".

I was considering grouping rough sill into the studs as well. But haven't convinced myself. Maybe rough sill and blocking should group up and report as lineal feet. ??

• Bryan Ireland likes this

#13 Derk Burgers

Derk Burgers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSioux Center, Iowa

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:21 PM

Latecomer here - when using this formula, if it counts studs, jacks, cripples...do I remove Jack Stud and Wall Stud from my report? They still show up in fairly significant quantities. Obviously you're going to tell me to count the particular job so I can be certain, but in theory should I be able to remove them from my reports?

Here is the formula that tech shared with me today. It should count studs, jacks, and cripples. Just duplicate this formula for 2x4/6 precut A,B,C but change the dimensions. Hope this helps! Let me know if this works for you, I am still testing it out to make sure it works for how our company builds.

if between (stud_width,3",5") and within(stud_thickness,0.5", 1.5")
   if matches(stud_type, common,backer,king)
      if between(stud_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125") or matches(stud_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125")
         list(1,2",4",precut_A)
      else
         if stud_height<precut_A+1.125"
         endif
      endif
   endif
   if num_heights=2
      if between(max_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125") or matches(max_height,precut_A-1.125",precut_A+1.125")       
         if stud_type=jack
            list(1,2",4",precut_A)
         else
            if matches(stud_type,cripple,sill_jack)
            endif
         endif
      endif
   endif
endif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users