#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Hello All,

I could use some guidance as to the correct order from one step of the plan set to the next.  Most of what I draw is on a slab, raised slab, or drive under foundation, but I also work with some clients in other states where I need to draw basements.  Those projects cause most of these issues, but I run into some of them on most of my projects.  Typically I draw my floor plan.  once that is working, I will add my floor system, slab for the garage, and generate my basement. 

At this point I usually have issues to correct.  Some of my plate heights no longer align, some of my windows are at different header heights, and other items seem to need adjusting. 

Should I be setting my wall heights first thing, or after the floor system is added?

What function do the garage wall types serve versus the regular walls?

I'm not sure how sometimes my windows end up at all different header heights.  Again, could having the floor system affect how they are inserted?

Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

#2 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

The majority of my work is with a basment and a garage.

I usually set my wall heights after I have the floor system added. Since the bottom of the garage wall sets on top of the foundation and the depth of the floor system is added to these walls to make the tops even with the ret of the house, I find it easier to set the wall heights after I have determined the floor system.

To make it easier, I use the 'Set wall Tops' command, click on the house wall and then click on all the garage walls.

The addition of the floor system won't affect the header heights, changing the height of the wall will though.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

There really isn't a "correct" order, it's mostly whatever works for you. Typically I "sketch" from the bottom to the top and then "design" from the top to the bottom, because structure has to support from the top down.

I typically try to do the main floor, add the floors - then do the basement and correct any odd wall heights. Then I work out the site, and adjust basement walls. I then add the second floor if there is one and then add the roof. I ALWAYS add the whole roof on the highest floor system. Most of the time I seem to be flying blind and do what I need to do when it seems appropriate.

It frustrates me that walls lift up when you ADD a floor, but don't drop down if you make the floor joists smaller. They should automatically follow the floor thickness - even if that means adjusting total heights later.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:25 AM

Thank you, those are some good tips.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic