• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 John Abernathy

John Abernathy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

I've just downloaded Sketch Up (trial version), I'm wondering if it's worth the time (and $) to learn, or is it just better to
fight the Softplan 3D a little more to get the views I want. For me at least with 3D, on very custom drawings, it
seems like I can get the drawing to about 95% of what I want in 3D, then its like major computer programming and some technical
help to get the final version perfect. I'm guessing a lot of folks out there use Sketch Up, otherwise
there would not be a command to Export.

Also, I do use FotoSketcher that someone suggested a while ago a good bit, and it seems to hide a lot of the flaws.

Learn Sketch Up? Pros and Cons?

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

Personally I think Softplan gives a better finished product than Sketchup, but again that may be due to NOT being too familiar with Sketchup. What can Sketchup do in the way of final renderings that Softplan can't? ... I'm not being facetious, I really want to know what are Sketchups advantages.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

I do most of the rendering work that I show to clients in softplan.  For high end renderings, I'm exporting to sketchup file and doing final rendering in Lumion.  (actually, I should say my daughter is...I'm way too busy to learn/use another software!)

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#4 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:15 AM

How do you like Lumion Sam.  I had another individual recommend that to me the other day... It's a bit pricey, but if it's as good as they say it would be worth it to me to get some high end renders.

#5 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:22 AM

Sam, could share an example of a sp rendering and then a rendering "enhanced" in lumion?  I'd be interested in seeing the difference.  

#6 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

Here's my opinion.  I wouldn't have spent the big dollars on lumion for my normal every day work.  I don't think most of my day to day clients need that kind of detail...they just want an idea of how things will look and softplan does a fantastic job out of the box doing that.  I've seen lots of softplan users that are way ahead of me in renderings with softplan....some great stuff out there but I've never been able to get things to that level.  Probably because I don't have the time to devote to learning more!  I sell stock plans online with many publishers and on my own site and the artwork there has to be top notch if you want to stand out from everyone else's plans... that was the main reason why I purchased it and why I have my daughter doing all that work.  She doesn't do anything for my regular projects...only our online business.  Attached are a couple screen shots of the same project.  One that I did in softplan and one she did in lumion.

Attached Files

• Keith Almond likes this

#7 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Very nice.

#8 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

I export my projects from Softplan to Sketchup and then render in Sketchup with V-Ray.  It does take a little time but for some clients it has been a great help.  I agree with Sam, most clients don't need the degree of realism that can be achieved with higher end renderings.  But some do require it and Sketchup/V-Ray has been able to do a better job for me than Softplan alone.

#9 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

Here are a couple of samples that I have done for clients.  I have done more detailed renderings of commercial projects but I can't post those renderings without my clients approval.  For the residential renders I did not go all out adding furnishings as the client didn't want that.  Adding those extra items does make for a more realistic render though.

Attached Files

• Yvon Gonthier, Keith Almond, Dion Mulrooney and 1 other like this

#10 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

Next Level Michael

Those were done in Lumion?

#11 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

I use Sketchup with V-Ray as the renderer.

#12 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

Now, render the actual clients so they can see what "they" look like in their future home.

• Keith Almond, Michael Roman and Allen McDonnell like this

#13 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

I've used SketchUp for components, symbols, timber frames. and all sorts of other parts of models or to work with models quickly in ways SP cannot work. I think both programs have their strengths. And, with 2018 versions, both work better together than ever before. I think it is worth learning even if you just use it for symbols and parts of models you do in SP.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#14 Paul Tacy

Paul Tacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

Absolutely gorgeous work!

I'd like to learn more about Lumion and V-Ray.

Can one of you experts explain more, and/or lead us novices to learning sources?

Thanks

Paul

#15 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

There are many free tutorials on V-Ray for Sketchup on YouTube.  It is fully integrated into Sketchup so you never have to leave Sketchup to render.  It is a very powerful extension for Sketchup.  The down side to that is that it does take some work to learn everything.  Getting the modeling done is usually about 1/3 of the work.  You will usually spend another 1/3 working on the materials.  V-Ray will convert your materials when you open the file in Sketchup, but they are kind of lifeless and flat.  In order to make them look real you will need to either replace them or, at the very minimum, spend time tweaking them.  The other 1/3 will be spent with the lighting.  Exteriors are easy as it is just the sun.  Interiors involve more work.  But, to me, the results are worth it and the more time you spend using it the better you get with it.

#16 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

I also agree with Mark in that Sketchup and 2018 work very well together.  When I want to create some detailed symbols or components for 3d, I make them in Sketchup instead of using Solids.  Sketchup is BY FAR the easiest to use 3D modeling software that I have ever used.  I haven't found anything that I can't model in Sketchup.  Both programs have their strong points, as Mark stated, and I feel one of their strong points is that work so well together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users