#1 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

Having just worked on a project both at home and at work, I have to say that the way plansets handles Title Blocks NEEDS to be re-thought. I had even copied the chosen title block into the project file. However, my path to the project folder is different on my office laptop, and on my home desktop.

As a result EVERY time I opened the project on the "alternate" computer, I got errors and had to add the TITLE BLOCK AGAIN, even from the project folder.

This effectively means that that the planset is USELESS unless you pull it up on the computer that generated it.

Can your DEVELOPMENT TEAM PLEASE look it this situation and TRY to improve its useability. Even AUTOMATICALLY copying ANY used title block into the project folder and then only looking in the project folder for it/them, would mean that anyone who has access to the project folder can open the drawing on any computer without the message that Softplan can't find the TITLE BLOCK.

The current situation is terrible.

Thanks.

• Jay Preeshl and Tom Rogers like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

Only took me a few minutes of trying to use plan sets when it was first introduced to find it was completely useless.  I'll stick with multi drawings

#3 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

I logged a suggestion on your behalf. CO-48276.

Enjoy the holidays guys.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#4 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

Brent, there needs to be an option to "dislike" comments.   So directly under or above "like this" there can be a "dislike this"

• John Jones likes this

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

Thank you Brent. Have a great holiday.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

I agree with you Keith.  Definitely needs a fix. 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#7 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

I only work on one computer so I don't see that issue. But I love plan sets. Took awhile to get my head around it, but once I did, would not go back to multi-drawings.

• John Jones and Allen McDonnell like this

#8 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

Multi drawings have always worked real well for me and I haven't even tried the plan sets.  

#9 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Plan sets have a lot of potential.  I use them regularly for all of my projects, but I must admit, I have experienced the same issue that Keith has brought up.  For some reason, when you copy a project to another folder, the title block doesn't come along with it.  I suppose that if we (me included) are going to use multiple computers for our work, perhaps a cloud method of sharing the project with ourselves might be the best option.  That way, it doesn't matter which machine we access the project from, we still get all of the same files and updates.  The only down sides to this would be if internet services were disrupted and possibly slower response times when opening, saving, etc.  Just some random thoughts out loud looking for the best solution...

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

... perhaps a cloud method of sharing the project with ourselves might be the best option.  That way, it doesn't matter which machine we access the project from, we still get all of the same files and updates ...

That's exactly what I'm doing. Using YOUR key in alternate computer, brings up ALL your cloud based files. the problem is the title blocks are COMPUTER specific. My BOSS cannot pull my files from our backup drive (we have a peer to peer network with individual Softplan installations), without losing the TITLE BLOCKS, and for the same reason I cannot put my files from the cloud from home without losing the title blocks. Unless the title blocks have EXACTLY the same path ... i.e C:\SoftPlan-1\Title Block\Cover - 11 x 17.spd (on my computer) ... on both of the computers, and I can almost guarantee it doesn't - on none of the computers in our office is the path the same - then you get the error in the original post.

Keith

#11 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

Same here.  All my drafters and builder clients that have Softplan complain about all the error messages with the title block.  Not a problem with one sheet, quite the difference with 24 error messages.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#12 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

Was this ever figured out?

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#13 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Not in rel. 2018.  I'm not sure if they have it fixed in 2020 since I made the three computers I use the same.  I use a thumb drive to store my working files and transport them back and forth, with a back up on each computer.  The thumb drive has the same name and drive letter on all the computers so it worked in 2018 and I quite having to relocate the title block.

#14 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

Not in rel. 2018.  I'm not sure if they have it fixed in 2020 since I made the three computers I use the same.  I use a thumb drive to store my working files and transport them back and forth, with a back up on each computer.  The thumb drive has the same name and drive letter on all the computers so it worked in 2018 and I quite having to relocate the title block.

I do not see any change in 2020.

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#15 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

I do not see any change in 2020.

That's wacky.  How can SP keep track of all the other files perfectly and miss keeping track of the title block?  Such a small programming error but it causes a big headache.

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

I did a test when 2020 came out, and i was able to open a project from our backup with the title blocks in place. I assumed from that, that it had indeed been rectified, but since we're not yet using 2020, I haven't actually been able to test it in a real world situation.

Keith

#17 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:15 PM

It has not been fixed in 2020.

Just did a test.  Copied a project to a flash drive then opened that project from the flash drive.  The plan sheets DID NOT have the title block.  The titlle block still referenced the old file location.  Everything else opens just fine though.

#18 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

Keith, help me understand, did you say your path for Softplan2018 title block is different on your work and home? (they need to be the same)

I use a desktop and laptop, the SoftPlan directory tree is identical on both devices.  I have zero issues with title blocks and plansets missing data or anything else.  I have 28 different title block setups for different clients i draw for.  I keep the folders synchronized once daily to the latest modified files.

C:\SoftPlan2018

C:\SoftPlan2020

Above are my Softplan directories, as long as everything within is identical all procedures function flawlessly.

Below are my data directories, they don't have to be the same however mine are since I synchronize my project data also. (15 years of drawings)(also have a redundant cloud sync of the jobs)

X:\Jobs

Y:\Projects\Jobs

\\MYCLOUD-JF7XXX\Public\Project PC SYNC

Having just worked on a project both at home and at work, I have to say that the way plansets handles Title Blocks NEEDS to be re-thought. I had even copied the chosen title block into the project file. However, my path to the project folder is different on my office laptop, and on my home desktop.

As a result EVERY time I opened the project on the "alternate" computer, I got errors and had to add the TITLE BLOCK AGAIN, even from the project folder.

This effectively means that that the planset is USELESS unless you pull it up on the computer that generated it.

Can your DEVELOPMENT TEAM PLEASE look it this situation and TRY to improve its useability. Even AUTOMATICALLY copying ANY used title block into the project folder and then only looking in the project folder for it/them, would mean that anyone who has access to the project folder can open the drawing on any computer without the message that Softplan can't find the TITLE BLOCK.

The current situation is terrible.

Thanks.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#19 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

Joseph, it may work flawlessly if the directory structure is the same but we really can't expect EVERYONE that we might copy a project to will change their directory structure to match ours.  The title block should follow the project no matter what the directory structure is.

I customize my titleblock for each project and put the drawing inside the project file.  That should be all I have to do to make it work correctly.

I believe the problem is that somebody in the beginning thought we would all use the original SP logoed title block and didn't think about making it work any other way.

#20 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

One problem is that if you install a new version, it asks about the directory structure ... I ended up with a Softplan-1 directory, which wasn't the same as at home or the other users in the office. The directory structure has to be exactly the same or it won't work. I now loaded my new laptop into C:/Softplan2016, C:/Softplan2018 and C:/Softplan2020 directories which are different again. Also, our IT department got involved in TRANSFERRING OS and files to my bosses computer, and his directory structure is a complete mess and includes a directory called "Transfer" which is causing untold havoc on his system.

You can't mandate a completely alike system!

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users